Cadillac Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Here are Jake's studs that I received for my eldo.

I took pictures of two studs, the plate and it's mounting hardware.

If you notice the mounting hardware has two sets of different size bolts. It's obvious the smaller of the two are the original size bolts.

Look at the larger bolts and the thread pitch. Look at the studs. The larger end of the stud is what is getting bolted into the block, now compare that to the fine thread on the mounting bolt(smaller threaded mounting bolt).

It's night and day.

·
Registered
looking for an ETC
26 Posts
The stud concept seems to make more sense than using bolts.

Far greater strength, plus the torqueing action of clamping down force takes place without twisting on aluminum threads.

Studebaker

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Precisely.

Why take the chance of ruining the threads when you can tighten down the nut/washer combination?

In the end I guess it boils down to your preference. In my case, it's studs.

I'm now deciding whether to use that cometic multi layered steel gasket after reading AJxtcnman's post.

I was comtemplating it already but now he's almost shoved me in the corner with his pictures of the factory headgasket "crunching up" in certain spots.

I plan to keep this car a while and I'm NOT going back in to do this repair again anytime soon.

I like to fix it and forget it.

·
Registered
2001 DTS 96'ELDO ETC (had)
23 Posts
So my 01DTS has blown its gaskets, 99K never over heated, I want to do the studs and the composite gasket but because of my work and where i live theres no way id be able to do it on my own..Can ANYONE reccomend a shop between Austin or San Antoino that can do this work??? I LOVE MY DTS and makes me ill at the thought of getting rid of it

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,602 Posts
I'm not the best with Texas geography but there's a shop in Dallas who will do the work for you. North Texas Performance. Also Crest Cadillac in Plano, TX.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
I'm not the best with Texas geography but there's a shop in Dallas who will do the work for you. North Texas Performance. Also Crest Cadillac in Plano, TX.
Jake, he posted this somewhere else, too. I think there were a couple of replies concerning Texas shops.

·
Registered
2001 DTS 96'ELDO ETC (had)
23 Posts
Jake, he posted this somewhere else, too. I think there were a couple of replies concerning Texas shops
Yeah I found a listing for the shop in Dallas. I appericate all the help guys! I really do!

·
Registered
sts
1 Posts
Very informative,

I have a 95 sts, timeserts where done about 90,000 mile ago and it’s now leaking again, with your history in this problem would it be possible to do additional repairs at this point? I used to be a machinist so do as much as possible myself if possible and if having the specialty tools

Thanks

·
Administrator
67,978 Posts
Very informative, I have a 95 sts, timeserts where done about 90,000 mile ago and it’s now leaking again, with your history in this problem would it be possible to do additional repairs at this point? I used to be a machinist so do as much as possible myself if possible and if having the specialty tools Thanks
Talk directly to Jake at www.northstarperformance.com or Norm Huhn at www.huhnsolutions.com

These are the guys who make the studs and inserts from scratch - they have the real answers.

·
Administrator
67,978 Posts
MaduraMi, did you pull your engine out the top or bottom? Mark
He hasn't been here in a long time.............

It sounds daunting, but for the home DIY, dropping the whole drivetrain makes the most sense. You can stud the block without removing the engine from the cradle. If the lower end is tight there's no sense taking the engine completely apart.

You will need a real GM/Helm service manual - lots of settings and torque work to pay attention to.

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Hi Sub,
I was curious how he did it. I know that it can be done in the car with studs, but I have heard that the engine has to be tipped forward, and wanted to find out if that was true. I have a chance to buy a nice 2000STS for cheap that has a blown HG. And anyways, can they all be done with the engine coming out the top is what I want to know. Does the FSM say to take the engine out from the bottom?
Mark

·
Banned
'00 SLS, '65 CoupeDev, '96Dev, '89Eldo, '01DTS, etc...
30 Posts
  • The finest Northstar Head Stud to date, correctly engineered to be installed at the correct depth.
  • No multiple types of studs to deal with.
  • No confusion or complications.
  • No expensive Jig plate to buy.
  • Installation takes less time.
  • Full tech support, we will always answer the phones or return your call within minutes.
  • Studs shipped immediately!!! (2-3 day priority)
  • Unlimited stock on hand.
My studs.jpg
  • There is an alternative to both Timeserts and the studs in question.
  • In collaboration with the leading head stud manufacture, ARP, and based on GM's technology of proper depth.
  • There is NO other stud more reliable or easier to install.
  • Less expensive and over engineered to out perform all other manufacturers.
These studs are being sold world wide, with a lifetime warranty and they are completely utilitarian.
We have provided the complete specs on these studs for your convenience.
Why? Because Cadillac's is our hobby, and making it affordable to own one is our goal.
We are Cadillac Clubs Northwest and do what we do for the love of the car.

Call or email us anytime for a consultation or feel free to stop by our Cadillac Ranch.
Come and visit our Cadillac restoration department where Cadillac's is all we do!

Carroll Custom Cadillac
http://carrollcustomcadillac.com
503-895-2124
6610 NW 299th ST
Ridgefield WA 98642

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
but ultimately, there is a cause of the failure... overheating mainly (right)

These parts dont just fail without some sort of precipitating factor.... yes?

·
Registered
97 sts
1 Posts
I have a 97 STS. Two years ago ,it At 120,000k, it started using coolant through the exhaust at a rate of a gallon per 30 k. since the cost was prohibitive for a 13 year year old car, $6k-$10k, I took a chance on a formula out of California for $300. Although, I'm not a certified mechanic, I have work on about every aspect of cars, including repairing many heads throughout my 63 year, so I never believed in a cure out of a bottle. In this case, I love the car and to repair the "right way" was out of the question, so I tried a product called Thermo Gasket, and to my surprise - IT WORKED. Today I have over 150,000k on it, live in a cold climate, Canada, and my car is runs like a clock. I keep my eye on the coolant and have to add about a liter every 6 to 9 months. I can live with that.

·
Administrator
67,978 Posts
but ultimately, there is a cause of the failure... overheating mainly (right) These parts dont just fail without some sort of precipitating factor.... yes?
You have the cart before the horse: Overheating for some reason will NOT cause the head bolt hole threads in the block to fail; rather, the threads disintegrate for one of several reasons, one or more bolts lose clamping pressure, the gasket begins to fail, exhaust gas enters the cooling system and blows off coolant, leading to water pump cavitation and subsequent overheating.

The exhaust gas, in and of itself, does not overheat the engine. I believe the open deck design is contributory to gasket failure. Even though the head gaskets incorporate a stainless steel fire ring, perhaps the block (each cylinder) should also have been O-ringed - read up on the procedure.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS
299 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone knows if any lab tests were done to determine how corrosive the Dexcool becomes if left in the cooling system for 5 years or more. I know that it becomes more acidic, but test results would help to prove if this is one of the leading causes of thread failure.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,622 Posts
Not that I have ever heard of, but that does not mean much.

·
Administrator
67,978 Posts
nyukcubed, Your post and coolant question has been moved to a new thread in the advice section, down about 8 threads below this one. "2000 STS coolant problems".

You'll get far more exposure and advice if you keep your questions out of the "sticky" posts.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts