Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 silverado CC,SRX (N*), 07 Silverado crew 4X4, 2000 Impala
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I would like your 2 cents. I'm looking for a roof top carrier as we are going away for 5 days, funny enough the 15 year old and 19 year old want to come with us and we are taking the SRX to the cottage/camp. Our SRX does not have the 3rd row, but the back is reserved for the Golden retriever. So we've been looking at Yakima skybox http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/boxes/product/8007181/skybox-18.aspx with the Yakima crossrails and rail grabs. this set up lists around $1050.00 + tax so about $1200. I like the titanium but the carrier it's self is $1140.00 tax in. We will mostly have our luggage up there so I want it water tight.
I'd rather take the truck but that's not happening:tisk::tisk:...So please let me know your thoughts, experiences even on the cheaper versions available.
Thanks again.:D:D

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
740 Posts
I can tell you what NOT to buy.
A Thule fabric bag type roof carrier.
200 miles on the road and stuff was falling out due to the bag coming apart.
Thule wouldn't even talk about warranty - luckily I had bought it thru Amazon and they took it back for only a restocking charge.

·
Registered
2008 V6 SRX4
61 Posts
although I have not used it yet....I picked up
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-672.html with the crossroads rail holders and I had the 48or50 inch load bars already. I trhink I got the corossroads and the carrier for like $650 including tax during a 30% off sale at REI or Eastern Mountain Sports, can't remember. Whatever you do I recommend you go to a store and see them first hand...I can tell you that the way the THULE evolution attaches to the rails is super easy and you can open from either side which is nice...Alos look at craigslist used stuff, sometimes you can get good deals on fairly new stuff. Yakima and Thule load bars are interchangeable with either system I was told.

Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I have checked KIJIJI as well as craigslist and there are some there. Do you have onstar? think these long carriers (91") may effect reception?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went to Sears and purchased a turtle top for my 06 SRX. It's awsome and rather large, but it is aerodynamic. It holds a lot of cargo in it. The top flips forward on two hinges on the sides of the carrier, and it locks. It only cost about 350.00 or so. I strongly suggest looking at Sears in their automotive and tire section. I am not dissapointed with ours and I don't think you will be either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't go over 100lbs. We usually put the beach stuff in it, any food, pillows etc. Everything you need for a beach house rental that isn't provided by the rental house. Luggage and heavy items go in the back of the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great advice, we decided to just pack minimal clothes, coffee and toast next morning then off food shopping(beer fridge was left stocked for us) the dog had more than enough room. I'm still looking to get the cross bars and going to pass on the carrier for now.
100lbs seems reasonable for max weight for up there.

Thanks again.:bouncy:

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
I have GM crossbars with a Yakima Skybox on my 2008. Box is watertight, stable to 100mph+ (I live in Germany), and doesn't make a lot of noise unless you have the sunroof cover open. I have used Yakima racks before but actually like the GM crossbars better but then I only use the Skybox.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the skybox and like it. I did call my caddy dealer and they said there are no crossbars available. I thought that was a bit strange but like the the ones I saw that thule made. Don't need one during winter, mostly summer travel...
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can purchase authorized GM crossbars from the GM accessories web site at gm.com. Caddy wont sell them to you if you go to the dealer. At least mine wouldn't, so I went on line, purchased them, and then picked them up at a local GM dealer in about a week. They work fine. I now use them to cart around my hunting canoe when I am driving out to fish or camp/hunt. Work perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts