Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I have nothing against Rolex watches, I am not sure I accept all the claims made about the uniqueness of a Rolex watch (Patek Philippe always caught my fancy) ..... but the real question in my mind is do they really keep better time?

·
Registered
2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
533 Posts
No, but they never lose their value. As for keeping time not that great, but a great watch and well made.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,416 Posts
A Rolex is a certified mechanical chronometer. That does NOT guarantee absolute time accuracy in and of itself. A certified chronometer gains or loses time at a predictable rate, so if you keep logs based on NIST time tick comparisons you can add or subtract the cumulative gain or loss over time to arrive at a dead-nuts accurate time. The beauty of a Rolex is that you can damn near bet your life it will run - and not have a dead battery when the chips are down.

I own 7 Rolex watches - 4 for me, 3 for Karen. The oldest is a 1959 Oyster that belonged to Dad. It is regularly serviced and keeps excellent time. My other 3 are a progression of Submariner, GMT Master and GMT Master-II pieces dating back to 1967. The newest is a gold GMT Master-II - anniversary present a while back. They also keep excellent time. BUT each has its own gain/loss rate, I know each watch intimately, and can always correct the indicated time. My Submariner has been my diver's watch since 1967.

Karen's are Lady Datejust and Lady Date in gold, gold/s/s and s/s. Similar performance.

One of my daughters works for a large new England jewelry chain that employs several Rolex-trained watchmakers, so that is a plus for me. Basic Rolex service at the New York facility begins at $425 and goes from there - 6 to 8 weeks wait time, every 5 years.

If you are anal about dead-nuts-to-the-second accuracy, get a mid-line Breitling or Omega quartz electronic watch - they are accurate.

Rolex is a fine watch - and it still carries the Ian Fleming/James Bond/Sean Connery/Dr. No mystique. BUT it is a mechanical chronometer and is NOT atomic accurate. Remember: I was a Navigator in the Navy for 26 years - I speak time and timepieces.

http://time.gov/HTML5/

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,069 Posts
The irony is that a $3 Barby Doll digital watch will outperform any mechanical watch ever made but it doesn't have the snob appeal of a Rolex.

·
Registered
2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
533 Posts
dkozloski said:
The irony is that a $3 Barby Doll digital watch will outperform any mechanical watch ever made but it doesn't have the snob appeal of a Rolex.
l
Where do you come up with just because you own a Rolex , you are a snob. I guess the same holds true if you own a Cadillac instead of a Chevrolet. I own both( Cadillac and Rolex) and I do not consider myself a snob.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
No snob considers themselves a snob, just superior.

Not saying you're a snob Cash. Fortunate to have a Cadillac and a Rolex, but not a snob.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
All you guys have mentioned why a Rolex is a neat thing to own, but not why it is superior time piece.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,416 Posts
Read my post. Read Dr. No. Rolex was put on the map by Ian Fleming......... the make was always a fine, reliable timepiece - but it hit the big time with James Bond in the early 60's.

Expensive ??? Nowadays, yes. Just like all other over-hyped over-marketed commodities - Cadillac, for one glaring example.
Reality: I paid $312 for my 1974 GMT Master in the Navy Exchange in Rota, Spain - brand new. The new generation of that same watch is over $7,000 today. Wooop-dee-dooo.

If someone feels the need to drive a "Cadillac" they can certainly bolster the mystique with a Rolex .............. snob appeal at its finest. On both counts. Kind of like your Bass Weejuns and Levis.

Same analogy as orconn driving a Lamborghini instead of a Nova or Chevette. (The Nova was more reliable)

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
I'm a watch guy, but I'm a fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive series. I bought one from their Stiletto line a few months ago. It's the world's thinnest solar powered watch. It's incredibly thin and sleek, attractive, accurate, and reliable, and even though it looks like a million bucks it was only $450. I wanted a watch that would fit under the sleeves of the fitted dress shirts I wear at work. My only complaint is that it's a touch hard to read in the dark.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Actual fact, my Lamborghini 350 GT was so reliable and unfinnicky that we called it "The Chevy!" Truth be told I spent less on maintenance for the Lambo, during the ten years I owned it, than my mother spent maintaining the Rolex watch that my step father gave her as a present.

I remember well that Rolex watches could be had at the PX's around the world during the sixties for a reasonable price of $200. to $300. Amongst Intelligence types of that era (and other eras too, I would guess) owning and wearing a Rolex watch was the ting to do. I probably would have had one too except that mechanical watches had a very bad habit of stopping when worn in my wrist. So I stuck with Timex, which didn't seem to be affected this way, after buying a few Seiko mechanicals that stopped every time after being repeatedly, supposedly fixed. Thank God for the advent of digital watches!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
brandondeleo said:
I'm a watch guy, but I'm a fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive series. I bought one from their Stiletto line a few months ago. It's the world's thinnest solar powered watch. It's incredibly thin and sleek, attractive, accurate, and reliable, and even though it looks like a million bucks it was only $450. I wanted a watch that would fit under the sleeves of the fitted dress shirts I wear at work. My only complaint is that it's a touch hard to read in the dark.
A couple of years ago I was looking to buy a fairly nice watch for myself. I gave myself a budget of $1,000/1,200 and started looking for an automatic with a skeletal/exhibition face. At that price there were few, and nothing large enough to suit my giant hands and wrists. Even looking at solid face automatics, nothing really caught my eye. I stumbled across a Citizen that I liked, and at first lost interest when I saw that it was Quartz. Then I noticed it was Eco-Drive. Looked into the technology and some of the features. Really liked the fact that it set itself daily in the middle of the night (can't get much more accurate than that), and ended up buying one. it was ~$600, so I don't feel bad wearing it every day. One day I'll have to spend more and get an automatic I really like, but there are some very nice Eco-Drives if you don't mind a Quartz movement with a few party tricks.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Hey hey, we're talking about watches, who said anything about knowing what time it was? :histeric:

Honestly though, my top 3 reasons for looking at my watch during the day:

1 - I'm so flustered/confused I forgot what day it is.

2 - A quick check of the date.

3 - What? My phone isn't in my hand? How ever will I know what time it is??? Oh yeah, watches do that.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,818 Posts
You know that little pocket in most, if not all, jeans in right pocket? That was made specially for the pocket watch. As a matter of fact, some jeans still have a belt loop near the right pocket that has two loops in it. One of the belt, obviously, and another for the clasp for the pocket watch.

KOT

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,704 Posts
Q:"why wear a watch when you have a cellphone" A: "Did you forget that the wristwatch was invented so you didn't have to reach into your pocket to check what time it is"?
Hey Cortana, what time is it? No reaching involved.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
l
Where do you come up with just because you own a Rolex , you are a snob. I guess the same holds true if you own a Cadillac instead of a Chevrolet. I own both( Cadillac and Rolex) and I do not consider myself a snob.
lulz.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts