Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering the following parts to Forge the LSA. This is for a nitrous build.

I would appreciate feedback

WISK398x7 Wiseco Standard stroke / flat top / -3.2cc reliefs (4.070)
CMPSRDS CompStar 6.125" connecting rods with ARP2000 hardware (by callies)
CLE2199H Clevite LS1 main bearings
CLE663VN Clevite LS1/SBC rod bearings
ARP234-5608 ARP LS1 MAIN STUD SET

machine work block assembly

-Clean all parts
-Balance Rotating assembly
-Alignment Hone Main Journals
-Deck Block ( if needed )
-blueprinted matched parts
-bores are honed with torque plate
-machine work and assembly (hone cylinders, size main caps and
connecting rod caps for correct bearing clearance, install cam bearings),
file fit piston ring gap.
-polish crankshaft
-debur block
-test run rotating assembly check all clearances.
-install rotating assembly

·
Registered
2010 white diamond sedan, 6MT,all options. 641 RWHP/592 RWTQ
354 Posts
I dont know enough to comment but sounds like you will have one tough [email protected]% motor. Im sure you could still sneak it in for warranty work....lol

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Clevite, ARP, Callies. Beefcake selections in the business. Cleaning the bore up .010 should be good but you never know if it will need a little more once you get in there.

·
Registered
cts-v coupe thunder gray
46 Posts
sounds good, all top quality internals that's for sure, now just be sure about who is going to do all of the machine shop services, I'm curious as to why you are thinking about going this route as opposed to buying one of Jesse LSX short block, is it because it's iron? is it just the weight issue? because Jesse told me that the internals in that short block are so much lighter than the stock rods,pistons,crank, etc. that the two short blocks are pretty close in weight, I think like 50lbs or so, this is something I am going to do next winter so I will be watching this thread, also 707 rwhp, wow, could you list your mods again, can't find them in your sig, thanks

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds good, all top quality internals that's for sure, now just be sure about who is going to do all of the machine shop services, I'm curious as to why you are thinking about going this route as opposed to buying one of Jesse LSX short block, is it because it's iron? is it just the weight issue? because Jesse told me that the internals in that short block are so much lighter than the stock rods,pistons,crank, etc. that the two short blocks are pretty close in weight, I think like 50lbs or so, this is something I am going to do next winter so I will be watching this thread, also 707 rwhp, wow, could you list your mods again, can't find them in your sig, thanks

I struggled for about a WEEK on which way to go here. I just felt the fotging was a better way to go for me now. I do not think I will run more than
850 rwhp through this car. The weight difference, the fact that everything would be custom, the cost. It was a personal decision. I am still very much interested in the LSX,
I may do that swap at a later date.

My mods:
Wait4me:Engine Mgt.,Heads,SLP 1.8 Rockers,Springs,Cam,Chromemoly Pushrods,2.5 Upper,8.5 Lower
72# Injectors, Ported TB Snout & Blower,AR Headers,Heat Exchanger,160Tstat,CAI,3" Exhaust,OEM Mufflers
EFI Single Nozzle Wet (35-150hp),Controller w Wideband,Dual Side Vent Purge,Catch Can/Quick Drain
NGK BR6EF/BR7EF, (Forging

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
534 Posts
Everything in your stock block is forged except the pistons which have proven to be very tough so far. A guy did a comparo over on the Lsx boards of the LSA parts vs ZR1(actual side-by-side). The LSA rods are very beefy looking. Check it out if you havent already. IMO, the transmission is what I would be worring about. Easy up slowly on the nitrous, NO detonation, and keep checking your plugs after each pull. I think you could surprise everyone with your stock block :) Oh, with the spray I would dial the rev limit back down to a "more reasonable" number. No need to spin it as high. All, IMO of course.
Ross

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice! I saw the thread the other day you are referring to (pics). I am also considering addressing the tranny. I'll have to consult Jesse on the advice! Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
392 Posts
14psi + 300shot +10:1 = IMO bad idea. (too much compression to start with, much less after it's all "in there").

Also, I might use a high-end piston like CP.

Joe

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
Unless someone is trying to set a pump gas record I normally run 9:8-10:8:1 on our boosted builds. We have a stock longblocked ls7 making 691whp with a tvs1900 on pump gas. I would hope you will run a stand alone fuel cell for the nitrous or race gas in the tank when you start upping the nitrous. The reason for the bump in compression is having a more effecient daily driver, make more power per psi, and since the stock blower is maxed out already getting more out of it. Normally I dont like the weight of a lsx block but since our cars are so heavy we probably wont notice. If you were going to hit it with 300 shot I would suggest a lsx block. Another option for a extra $2k is the RHS block. Now if you are going to go with a aftermarket blower I would advise a different path.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Josh, thanks for clarifying the compression statement.

The 300 shot would have been for the LSX block and different heads. I am not doing that.

Currently my intent is to forge the LSA and hit it with 150 shot. That is all my EFI single jet wet system will flow. I will see how it handles it before going to a direct port system that could flow a 300 shot.

Regardless, I still have to consider the tranny.

I always run race gas.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
I think the tranny is first Curtis. If you keep the detonation away and the fuel at it, these pistons will be absolutely fine. The eutectic's these days are pretty darn good pistons. I banged on one with a 4 lb hammer multiple times and it didn't crack, chip or even mar up.
Even if you were to go forged, with a little detonation and lack of fuel you would hammer the bearings and just throw a rod sending a piston through the side. The tune is the most important thing and I truly think the LSA can withstand 850 RWHP easily if you dial it right. Spending $5,000 to get a slightly better piston (CP would be an even better choice I agree), without changing the compression ratio is a lot for little gain.
Direct port the 150 shot and start looking at Circle D or someone to beef up the clutches. I say see how she reacts on 4/2 and you will know if the tranny needs to come out. If you want to have it all set before the season starts I would pull the tranny now so in a month you are good to go.

G

·
Maybe seeing the limitations of the tranny as Drum said would be worthwhile, then the community would know the boom boom point for it.
You're definately a pioneer for the rest of us - thanks!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the tranny is first Curtis. If you keep the detonation away and the fuel at it, these pistons will be absolutely fine. The eutectic's these days are pretty darn good pistons. I banged on one with a 4 lb hammer multiple times and it didn't crack, chip or even mar up.
Even if you were to go forged, with a little detonation and lack of fuel you would hammer the bearings and just throw a rod sending a piston through the side. The tune is the most important thing and I truly think the LSA can withstand 850 RWHP easily if you dial it right. Spending $5,000 to get a slightly better piston (CP would be an even better choice I agree), without changing the compression ratio is a lot for little gain.
Direct port the 150 shot and start looking at Circle D or someone to beef up the clutches. I say see how she reacts on 4/2 and you will know if the tranny needs to come out. If you want to have it all set before the season starts I would pull the tranny now so in a month you are good to go.
Damn Keith, I don't know what to say. Jesse had told me some of the Dubai Boys that ran 850rwhp had pistons mushroomed from the compression and heat. I wonder if repeated compression and heat is alot different environment than hitting one with a hammer. Regardless, I thought I had this all figured out and now I get this from a guy with some credability. Puts me back to square one again!

Jes, if you got a pic of this, that would be great!

I had another reputable source say he thought the stock pistons would be ok as well with just good timing and the right air/fuel. The trouble is I do not want to risk a bad plug, or bad race fuel or just a one time bad misfire or something and I have weaker than forged situation here. I mean why would the LS9 have forged pistons and rods unless it was necessary or for marketing reasons? It only makes 638 claimed bhp. Perhaps it is because they know people will use it as a base and build more hp into it as well. IDK.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe seeing the limitations of the tranny as Drum said would be worthwhile, then the community would know the boom boom point for it.
You're definately a pioneer for the rest of us - thanks!
At some point, this is gonna get addressed and I will definately post my findings for the board.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts