Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Finally, a gorgeous '56 Coupe de Ville.

One more. This is the '48 Ford my friends from Phoenix drove up in. It looks stock from the outside, but it has a Chevy crate motor and updated suspension, A/C, etc.

Tomorrow is Crater Lake and Grants Pass. No car show tomorrow night, but I should have some pictures from the trip to post.
Boy that 1956 Coupe de Ville sure brought back memories. The summer I got my driver's license (NJ you had to 17) the family garage housed my father's '56 Coupe de Ville, my mother's 1957 Olds 98 4 doo Holiday and a 1956 Mercedes 300D (known as the "Adenauer" Mercedes). I was assigned to Mercedes (cause my Dad didn't really like it and my mother needed power steering and appreciated the hydramatic in the Olds). When I got to drive it, I really appreciated the Caddy's smooth power and overall operation. Not as quick as the shorter stroke Olds, but it made up for being having alot more torque at the low end which really came in handy when towing sailboats to different regattas. The '56 Caddy was replaced late that Summer by a new 1960 Sedan de Ville. In a lot of ways I liked the 1956 better. I agree that the '56,'55 and '54 model years were a high water mark for Cadillac design. Those cars managed to combine modernity with dignity in a way that was never equaled until the 1992 Sevile STS came along.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pictures from today. The full album from both yesterday and today is here.

It rained a little bit this morning in Klamath Falls, but Hoover is ready for another day in the car.

A couple more pictures of the beautiful '62 Impala:

Even on a cloudy, windy and a little chilly day, Crater Lake is stunning:

Wizard Island:

Me and Hoover with Crater Lake in the background:

The water is the bluest blue you can imagine, even more so than Lake Tahoe.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Oh WOW that is beautiful. And still some snow -- very cool.

That tissue/stereo adaptation is neat how it's modern, yet stock looking. I got rid of the mono AM/FM radio in the '70 when I was in high school, so now I have a Pioneer cassette deck (not much more modern now...) in its place.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A few shots of Betty at one of the viewpoints:

Still a lot of snow on the ground. Crater Lake gets around 45 feet every winter. There was still snow on the ground when I was there last July, but there's a lot more on this trip.

Arrived in Grants Pass with some sprinkles and threatening looking clouds.

It started pouring shortly afterwards:

Hoover has already picked his spot for the night:

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Filled up tonight after dinner and Betty got 13.30 on this tank from Klamath Falls to Crater Lake and on to Grants Pass. Was driving slower on some of the narrow and winding roads through the mountains, so that probably had something to do with it. Still, it was a climb up to >7,000 feet to Crater Lake, I ran the air most of the way from Crater Lake to Grants Pass, and I got stuck twice in road construction backups on the few miles today that were on I-5.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Ooo, look at mister big shot Gary with his fancy radio all hidden and stealth like. :p

Mine plays DVDs, I win. :D

Actually, its pretty cool. Much more sensible and ergonomically placed than the ones hidden in the glove compartment on the far side of the car.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Looks like fun Gary! That '61 Catalina....was that a race special or something? Don't see many with the dual-quad 421 and 8 lug wheels. Crater lake looks amazing!

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Beautiful pictures Gary!! I love the one with you and Hoover with the mountains in the background! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
I agree, you just need to photoshop the elderly lady out :D

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Real men can tell time and direction by the sun and what side moss grows on trees.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hoover and I got back to Corvallis early this afternoon, after a short detour in Eugene for a wine run at Trader Joe's (I got chocolate truffles, too). He's such a good road tripper and traveling companion.

Other than needing two or three cranks to start on a few occasions, Betty performed flawlessly on the trip. Today was a 175-mile, 65-70 MPH blast up I-5, including going through several mountain passes. I had the air running from Eugene to Corvallis and then from Corvallis to Independence, and I still got 12.44 MPG. I'd still rather drive Betty than a Prius.

Totals for the trip were 663 miles, an average of 12.775 MPG and $134.38 in gas. All worth it.

BTW, in its coverage of the GM bankruptcy, the New York Times auto section has a slide show of readers' photos of their GM cars. I posted one of the pictures of Betty at Crater Lake.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Beautiful pictures Gary!! I love the one with you and Hoover with the mountains in the background! :thumbsup:
Crater Lake (and Gary's house) are now on my must-visit list. That photo is good enough to hang on the wall.
I also agree, that is an awesome picture
Thank you all. My pictures aren't anywhere near what Gary Hebding can do, but for a point-and-shoot operated by someone who had a midterm C in photography in college, they're not bad.

Jesda, you (and any of my friends here) are welcome anytime. Just give me at least a couple of days' advance notice. I actually enjoy having company and even though I'm a transplanted Oregonian, I love to show off the many beautiful places here.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
BTW, in its coverage of the GM bankruptcy, the New York Times auto section has a slide show of readers' photos of their GM cars. I posted one of the pictures of Betty at Crater Lake.
Found it, picture 14 of 65. For some reason the picture looks as old as the car, not modern. IMO though it really adds to it, it matches the car and looks nostalgic.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts