Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to report that Hoover died last month. He had surgery to remove a malignant anal sac tumor in October and a series of radiation treatments in December. Other than a loss of appetite, not uncommon during radiation, he had been doing pretty well, but he went into a sudden and rapid decline that took him in just a few days. The most likely cause was cancer cachexia, but remnants from tumor may have metastasized. He was very brave, and his tail still wagged or tried to, but he had no appetite and very little energy at the end. We had one last weekend together so I could prepare myself for saying goodbye.

Sally the cat has been very loving and attentive, which helps a lot. But it's still so hard. He wasn't just a great dog; he was one of my best friends. We were together not quite 10 years, took several cross-country trips, and he was a frequent guest at my office. Hoover made friends wherever he went. I miss him something awful.

RIP my sweet puppy.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
Hoover will truly be missed... He's one of the coolest dogs I've ever had the fortune to meet and I just about cried when I heard. My heart hurts for you Gary, it really does. I hope to see you again soon.

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From when Brandon and I met while Hoover and I were on a road trip in Betty:

Brandon got to drive Betty, and Hoover enjoyed the ride:

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I am sure all of us here at the Forums are feeling the sadness that Hoover's passing has brought. We all know what great pals you and he were, Gary, and the deep friendship that the two of you had. We will all miss seeing the pictures and enjoying the stories about Hoover that you shared with us. He will be missed!

I hope you will honor the wonderful gifts that Hoover brought to your life by allowing another fine pooch, needing a home, to join your family.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about the news! He seemed to be a very sweet, loving dog and a good friend for you!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Oh Gary I am so sad to hear this.

I am wiping away tears as I write this.
I have had and lost many a dog over the years and it still amazes me how their loss can have such am impact on our lives.

It bothers me that I sit here, half a country away, feeling the same emotions as strongly as when I lost my father.
I don't know if that makes me a bad person, or if I am just using it as an outlet for dealing with my own feelings, yet to be addressed over my dad.
I do know that my deep affection to dogs was something that he and I shared. I know I learned shedding tears for our lost companions was OK and nothing to be ashamed of by watching him. Perhaps this reaction makes more sense than I even realize.
In the end I guess what I need to say is know that you are not alone in mourning your little buddy.
He touched a lot of lives and brightened many a day for me through your love and devotion to him in your posts.
Good boy Hoover, good boy....thank you and rest in peace buddy.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
One heck of a dog. One heck of a good life! You gave him a pretty spectacular decade of meeting people, seeing sights, and wandering the country.

Such a good-natured, loyal companion. He will be impossible to forget.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Cherish the memories, take time to mourn and then build up another great relationship with the next pup.

Take solace in the fact many got to meet Hoover and we all enjoyed it. Quite the legacy for a pup...

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour;

those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing;

they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

·
Registered
'87 Brougham d'Elegance, '97 ETC, '10 Cobalt SS
112 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. :( It is always saddening to hear/read about. Take as much time as you need to grieve. The last dog I had that died, probably took me close to a year before I wanted another dog. I still get tears in my eyes when I think of her, and my current dog is around two years old.

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
Sorry to hear it dude. Know the feeling we lost a black lab a while back ( Max the wonder dog). Had him cremated. He's still with us on the mantle. The Good ones are hard to replace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts