Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revs often drop below the 500rmp level down to 250 and can stall, usually will pick up and steady at 500 again. means driving at night the headlamps dim when slowing down. Garage couldn't find any reading error fault. Has anyone had this happen? Escalade 2001, 6L AWD.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2,090 Posts
My parents both have 02's and have this issue.. sometimes when pulling out of the driveway you will hit the gas to move the car and then it drops and stalls... or when sitting in the driveway the car will have a pulling type of feeling and it feels like it is going to stall.. the issue is the throttle body needs to be cleaned.. it gets clogged up and has to be cleaned out..

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's never dropped when pulling away, only when the foot's off the gas and decelerating past the ticker over line. I'd like to check the throttle body and clean it. Not being old fashioned with a cable linkage, do you know where I look?

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2,090 Posts
well thats what i mean.. when pulling out of the driveway you can hit the pedal and when you let up the truck drops the rpms and it would stall out.. or if you put it in drive and just let up on the brake or whatever the car will do the whole rolling foward thing but give a hickup if thats what you want to call it.. where ti feels like it is straining to not stall out..

as far as the fix your truck might be different.. you siad you have an 01.. my parents have 02's which was the first year the new body style of the 99-01's.. however we took out the entire air intake setup and cleaned it out.. taking out the air intake is fairly simple on most vehicles however as stated iv never worked on an 01.. just the 02-06's... but for the most part just take out your intake system and clean it out.. make sure you got a good air filter in.. they make a spray that im sure you can grab at any Auto Parts store that helps clean the throttle body out.. if you are unsure how to do it im sure most garages could accomodate you..

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Pretty sure you can adjust the ldle with a hand held programmer, and I believe there was a stop you could adjust on my 03', not sure about an 01'

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Do a search on cleaning throttle bodies here. There have been several how to threads on the subject. When my 03 had idling issues cleaning the throttle body fixed it right up.

·
Registered
2004 Ext (sable black) and 1966 chevelle
255 Posts
spray around the area where the intake meets the head with wd40. If idle speed changes you've found your problem. Those intake manifolds need to be re-torqued from time to time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help guys and I'll try all this advice. Regards upping the idle, it does hold well at 500 rpm most of the time, but mostly when the car has been running less than 40 mins apprx. and the gas pedel is lifted, that's when it can drop to 250 almost stalling, stalling very occassionally, then quickly climbs back up. I need to get some braks pads as well, but I'm in England. If anyone knows parts suppliers that ship please let me know?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup Throttle Body is the problem... Had the same problem, got my Throttle Body cleaned and I dont have the problem anymore..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts