Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new gm trans mount with the revshift insert on my 04 v. Now it's really hard to get it into reverse. The shifter shifts just find into every other gear just a bitch to get into reverse. Not that it was like butter before but it wasn't this hard. Tried moving the crossmember to each side a little but no change. Even tried it with the crossmember loosened so the trans dropped down a little. No change. The original mount was pretty compressed. Car has Brian's shifter setup in it. 1-6 shift fine just reverse. Any ideas of what to try?
Thanks !!
Ron

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Re: Rev shift is really hard to engage after new trans mount

If the only changes you made were the GM transmission mount and the Rev Shift insert, my guess is the combination yields a little too much transmission height. What is the age/condition of your engine mounts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not sure how old they are but I have a set of creative steel mounts in hand just haven't installed them yet. My originals actually look fairly new. No leaks or cracking of any kind. I can get it into reverse if I slam the shifter to the right and up to reverse hard. It hits the side of the console a little since I have to push so hard. I changed only the mount. You read about people putting the rev shift insert and getting smoother shifts. Only reason I went that route. I wonder if the bushing on the front of the shifter shaft gave out? Have to drop the trans to change those :(

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

Not sure how old they are but I have a set of creative steel mounts in hand just haven't installed them yet. My originals actually look fairly new. No leaks or cracking of any kind. I can get it into reverse if I slam the shifter to the right and up to reverse hard. It hits the side of the console a little since I have to push so hard. I changed only the mount. You read about people putting the rev shift insert and getting smoother shifts. Only reason I went that route. I wonder if the bushing on the front of the shifter shaft gave out? Have to drop the trans to change those :(
I can't rule a problem with the shifter. However, the reports on this forum over the years has established that the relationship between the engine mounts and the transmission mounts can cause shifting problems and/or vibration issues. The issues invariably occur when the transmission mount is replaced, more often than not, with aftermarket mounts. Additionally, the issues are not brand-specific. Rather certain combinations of engine mounts and transmission mounts cause problems in some Vs, but not others. The other variable is whether the combination includes mounts that are significantly older/newer than the other mounts. In your case, it may be as simple as either removing the Rev Shift insert until the new transmission mount is settled in or installing the new engine mounts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So I installed the creative steel motor mounts and also did the diff mount at the same time. No change in the rev shifting. So I tried a little experiment. I popped the shifter bezel off the console and it went into reverse easy as can be. Turns out the 2014 shift knob and brians shifter made the boot touch the side right where the plastic nut holds it to the shifter knob. I was able to loosen the shifter plate and move the base only about 1/16th of an inch to the drivers side. I also loosened the boot from the base of the knob. Problem solved. Goes into reverse easy and every gear is the smoothest it's ever been. I don't know why adding a trans mount magnified the problem but it's good to go now. I think most people put the alcantara boot on when they install the shifter. Going to order one and I think it will not bind like the stock one did. They make one that is 1.5" shorter than a stock one. Thanks to everyone for your input. I know you all have better things to do than help me. But you did anyway. For that I thank you ?
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts