Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the procedure to retreive the codes resulting from the " Service Engine Soon " light comming on?
What is the sequence for erasing the stored codes?
I know on my 1993 Deville you can get and erase the codes using the climate control system.
I would think that the process is similar on the 1999 Deville.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
107 Posts
Re: Retreiving and erasing codes on 1999 Deville 4.9L regarding Service Engine Soon Light

caoiii said:
Does anyone know the procedure to retreive the codes resulting from the " Service Engine Soon " light comming on?
What is the sequence for erasing the stored codes?
I know on my 1993 Deville you can get and erase the codes using the climate control system.
I would think that the process is similar on the 1999 Deville.
Autozone can check the code for free. I guess most code can not be decoded by the climate control system. The only thing it worked for my car is the gas tank cap. I forgot closing the gas tank cap then the error message poped up on the screen.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Re: Retreiving and erasing codes on 1999 Deville 4.9L regarding Service Engine Soon Light

I think your car is the same as the '97. If so, simultaneously press the OFF and WARMER buttons til the DIC lights up. THe codes will be presented at the bottom. After they have been displayed, you will see PCM?, answer YES with the HI FAN button. Answer NO with the LOW HAN button to the next prompts til you see CLEAR PCM CODES?, answer YES.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ranger said:
I think your car is the same as the '97. If so, simultaneously press the OFF and WARMER buttons til the DIC lights up. THe codes will be presented at the bottom. After they have been displayed, you will see PCM?, answer YES with the HI FAN button. Answer NO with the LOW HAN button to the next prompts til you see CLEAR PCM CODES?, answer YES.
Thanks Ranger,that worked.
I was able to access codes and erase them.
Service Engine Light is off.

·
Super Moderator
86,792 Posts
Re: Retreiving and erasing codes on 1999 Deville 4.6L regarding Service Engine Soon Light

Great! Did you correct what ever set the DTC's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
how do i find out what the codes mean i have a 99 deville i ran the scan and have a lot of msm b0856 and others what do they mean?

·
Super Moderator
86,792 Posts
Read the DTC sticky at the top of the forum page. There is a link to the code definitions there. You want the OBDII link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts