Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My divers side running board on my 09 Escalde ESV doesn't always work properly. 50% of the time it will operate normally, the other 50% it will begin to retract, but it's like it gets stuck then goes back down. The interesting part of this is that if the truck is running, it will go up and down just fine. When it is actually working properly it does appears to go up and down much slower when the truck is not on. The passengers side works fine all the time. Anybody have any ideas? It's not a big deal to me b/c I never use them, but my wife likes them so I would like to have them functioning if at all possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. My question is, if the motor was going bad, then why would there be a difference in functionality when the truck is running (they work perfectly) and when the truck is off (it works 50%of the time. Always goes down, just struggles going up sometimes). It would see that if it were a motor issue, it wouldn't matter if the truck was running or not. Thanks again for the response. I know nothing about cars and this forum is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
With the motor running, your getting full power, so there is more force pushing and or lifting. So lets say toward the end of lowering the board there is resistance, the power that the motor has is overcoming the resistance to do a full open. Now with the truck off, there is a little less amperage for what ever reason, bad battery, etc. When the board s lowering slower, with less force, it cannot get past the resistance to lower t all the way, so the sensor sees that it did not complete the job and it reverses. Think about the motorized hatch, put some resistance on it and it reverses. Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :2thumbs: A lot better than "No Problem Found" :hide:

·
Registered
2008 escalade esv
44 Posts
With the motor running, your getting full power, so there is more force pushing and or lifting. So lets say toward the end of lowering the board there is resistance, the power that the motor has is overcoming the resistance to do a full open. Now with the truck off, there is a little less amperage for what ever reason, bad battery, etc. When the board s lowering slower, with less force, it cannot get past the resistance to lower t all the way, so the sensor sees that it did not complete the job and it reverses. Think about the motorized hatch, put some resistance on it and it reverses. Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :2thumbs: A lot better than "No Problem Found" :hide:
All true. Been there done that and now going through it again on the passenger side. Looking for new motor and bracket.

·
Registered
2008 ESV
25 Posts
I had the same issue, turned out to be connector for harness on the motor. Unplug, clean with electrical connector cleaner and apply generous amount of lithium grease spray on the hinges opening and closing them few times.
Motor only drops and lifts weight of the board corroded hinges add to resistance.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
38 Posts
Could check your voltage at the running board motor as well. Maybe a battery charging issue that is showing preliminary signs?? Just speculating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts