Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS V Coupe 700HP, Turbocharged 99 STS 700+HP
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. It's been a while since I have posted. For some of you old timers you may remember my Turbocharged 99 STS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwc8N-sjw4

I now also have a 2011 CTS V Coupe that I have also built to 600WHP. I enjoy tracking this car and have decided to retire the STS and sell the old girl. It was my first project car and I did what everyone said couldn't be done, make a 600+WHP luxury sleeper at that time. Now Cadillac has done that with the V series. I have a lot of memories and good times with the car and will miss her but it's time to move on. The car is still in 100% working condition and still stupid fast.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2014-cadillac-cts-v-general/688257-retiring-turbocharged-99sts.html

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Good to hear from you again Mark. I guess it's true that all good things come to an end and time marches on, but you'll always have that accomplishment.

P.S.
What was the actual cost of the STS conversion?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear from you again Mark. I guess it's true that all good things come to an end and time marches on, but you'll always have that accomplishment.

P.S.
What was the actual cost of the STS conversion?
After the R&D and blowing 2 motors I would say between 18-20,000, but it was worth the thrill of victory

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,448 Posts
Heh, heh, heh. That bears out the old adage concerning women, cars and guns:

"You gotta pay to play !"

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
OR

"How fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?"

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EXACTLY!!

And then things snowball and you get carried away. OR the wife says" I'm gonna spend on me what you spent on that car". That'll bring you back to reality real fast. HEH! HEH!

·
Registered
Diamond White '03 STS
63 Posts
I've looked thru your old threads just for fun, I haven't had my STS real long, but the idea of putting a turbo on it is fun to consider. I'm pretty familiar with turbocharging - I've had 3 turbo charged LS1 F-bodys and working on my 4th now. It seems to me parts are easier to come by now than they were then, and theres some knockoff parts that will work just the same as the name brand stuff from 2006. What is difficult is the tuning aspect. Is the company that you got your piggyback tuner from still in business? If not, do you know or have you heard of any companies that will do something similar that allows you to (fairly) easily play with a/f delivery and timing for these cars? Also, where did you get your converter and did you ever actually tune the car for that 3600 stall speed?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked thru your old threads just for fun, I haven't had my STS real long, but the idea of putting a turbo on it is fun to consider. I'm pretty familiar with turbocharging - I've had 3 turbo charged LS1 F-bodys and working on my 4th now. It seems to me parts are easier to come by now than they were then, and theres some knockoff parts that will work just the same as the name brand stuff from 2006. What is difficult is the tuning aspect. Is the company that you got your piggyback tuner from still in business? If not, do you know or have you heard of any companies that will do something similar that allows you to (fairly) easily play with a/f delivery and timing for these cars? Also, where did you get your converter and did you ever actually tune the car for that 3600 stall speed?

I ultimately went with a stand alone engine management computer. I completely retuned the car so no more motors going up in flames.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts