Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if RAP can be turned off?... and if so how?

The owner's manual gives no indication whether or not this is possible so I thought I'd ask. There's no mention of it in the vehicle customization options in CUE so I suspect that if it can be done it's a dealer function.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the reason you want it off? Just curious..
Open driver door and it's off. But I see no reason you'd even want to.
I recently installed a new dash cam and believe that RAP is causing a minor issue with it and was hoping it could easily be disabled in order to determine if RAP really is the culprit.

Background info:

Dash cam is powered through a 12v to 5v USB adapter from the lighter outlet in the rear seat which is 'hot' only with the ignition on. Camera begins to record when the ignition is turned on and stops recording when ignition is turned off - very simple.

Symptoms:

When shutting off the ignition then opening the door the camera goes into it's shutdown sequence then immediately starts back recording and creates another video file about 1 second long.

If I open the door first then turn off the ignition camera shuts down normally and the extraneous file is not created. In this scenario RAP would never be activated because the door is open when the ignition is turned off.

My theory is that when shutting off the ignition before opening the door there is a very short power drop to the accessory circuits before RAP kicks in and this is fooling the camera into starting it's shutdown sequence. Having the ability to disable RAP would enable me to prove/disprove the theory and work out a solution.

It's not related to that specific outlet or 12v/5v adapter because I've used both outlets, and multiple adapters. Nor is it related to that one specific camera because I have 2 and it occurs with both of them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :noidea:

Edit: Note - I'm in direct communication with the manufacturer about this issue so it's kind of important to determine the actual cause as they can possibly tweak their firmware to prevent this going forward.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Have you tested this yourself with a meter or another device to see exactly when and what the voltage is?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tested this yourself with a meter or another device to see exactly when and what the voltage is?
No, not yet. It's just a logical conclusion based on the evidence at this point. I was hoping that it would be easy to disable RAP to test the theory.

I do have an in-line USB volt/amp meter than I can hook up but my concern is if it's a very short drop the meter may not react fast enough to show it. That is my next step however.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I just ran a test with my in-line USB meter between the 12v/5v adapter and the camera and, low and behold, the outlet shuts down completely for about 1 second after the ignition is switched off and before RAP kicks in and restores it. When I say shuts down completely I'm talking about 0.00 volts.

Posting this so anyone else who may run into a situation like this might get through it easier than I did.

Case closed from my perspective.

·
Registered
2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone
296 Posts
No, not yet. It's just a logical conclusion based on the evidence at this point. I was hoping that it would be easy to disable RAP to test the theory.

I do have an in-line USB volt/amp meter than I can hook up but my concern is if it's a very short drop the meter may not react fast enough to show it. That is my next step however.
You are on the right track, there has to be some disturbance in the outlet voltage to trigger the camera's shutdown / restart. If the meter doesn't catch the glitch, you might try a 12V LED test lamp to see if it blinks off for a split second.

A solution would be to add some capacitance (preceded by a blocking diode) across the camera's 12V input leads, that should filter the short glitch and prevent triggering the camera's shutdown/restart. The longer the glitch in power, the bigger capacitor you'll need. The blocking diode will prevent upstream loads on that 12V circuit from discharging the capacitor, leaving it "dedicated" to powering the camera through the short glitch.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must have missed my previous post showing what I found. It's pretty much a total shutdown for a bit over 1 second and almost 2 seconds before power comes back up to 5V. It's not that big a deal so I'll either live with it or open the door before shutting it off.

See this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAZrRg6inGU

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Very interesting info... Glad you located it. What unit do you use for your recorder? Are you happy with it? I found one in Brookstone that has 2 cameras. One on each end of the unit. You can have them both pointing forward or one toward the driver window and one forward etc...

·
Registered
2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone
296 Posts
You must have missed my previous post showing what I found.
Yep, I started typing mine before you posted yours. Glad you confirmed your suspicions. Depending on the load current of your camera, you might need a fairly big cap to keep it powered through a 2-sec long "blackout". Can't get any simpler than "living with it".

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very interesting info... Glad you located it...
As am I.

...What unit do you use for your recorder? Are you happy with it?...
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/dashcams/street-guardian-sg9665gc-super-capacitor-sony-imx322-sensor-gps-32gb-storage-card.html

Happy so far but have only been using it for a week or so. Did a lot of research before buying so I'm pretty sure it's the right one for me. I've had a lot of communication with the vendor and he's a straight up guy that's passionate about his business. Highly recommend him.

This is my second camera so I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted/needed and well as some knowledge that I didn't originally have.

... I found one in Brookstone that has 2 cameras. One on each end of the unit. You can have them both pointing forward or one toward the driver window and one forward etc...
Sounds like what you're talking about is what's referred to as a 'taxi cam' - one lens forward and the second for interior. Generally not the best units around.

If you're serious about possibly getting one I'd suggest you visit https://dashcamtalk.com/ . Lots of really good information there - reviews, tutorials, comparisons, vendor reviews, etc. and a very active and helpful user forum. There are many things to consider when deciding and there's a section that talks about these variables and what they mean in the real world.

Another site to browse around for reviews and general knowledge is - http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts