Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual I come here FIRST for advice. I get a steering wheel shimmy when stepping on the brakes on the highway when coming to a stop. Say from around 60 to 40 mph. Not all the time but its still annoying. My brakes still have meat on them and I'm wondering should I wait when I replace the brakes or find a shop that resurfaces the rotors? What would the cost of something like this be? I heard on newer cars the rotors are thinner than they used to be and its best just to replace them. Would that be true on my '03 DTS?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I'm sure someone will post recommended braking procedures to clean up the rotors you can try before have them turned.
I have my rotors turned for about 8 bucks a piece(my labor), I do them whenever I get a brake shimmy like you have(year to year and a half usually). I don't change the pads unless they need it. No harm turning rotors as I've had my PA(and Caddy) rotors turned many times. Until they are outta spec(too thin) I'll keep doing them.

S

·
0 Posts
Depends usually its not worth resurfacing them as normal rotors arent to expensive unless there expensive rotors (Like EBC) unless u got somewhere cheap to do it then resurface them, calipers could be sticking aswell

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....I heard on newer cars the rotors are thinner than they used to be and its best just to replace them. Would that be true on my '03 DTS?
Not likely. In fact you can listen to and read all kinds of hearsay that is technically/mechanically inaccurate. "Follow the money" is my approach.

You can easily "resurface" your rotors without touching a wrench or your credit card.

Locate a section of lightly travelled 45 MPH limit road where you will not attract any attention. From ~~ 45 MPH make a rapid series of ten 'hard stops' without actually coming to a full stop AND without activating ABS. After about the 5th or 6th stop you should start to smell hot brake pads and maybe even see some smoke from the front brakes. Ignore those signs and complete the series of ten.

Then drive normally for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the rotors/pads to cool down (again try to avoid coming to full stop where you have to clamp the pads against the rotor).

What you are doing is putting enough heat into the rotors and pads to burnish any uneven accumulation/buildup of brake pad material on the rotor surface.

And the cost is less than 1/2 hour of your time and less than one gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not likely. In fact you can listen to and read all kinds of hearsay that is technically/mechanically inaccurate. "Follow the money" is my approach.

You can easily "resurface" your rotors without touching a wrench or your credit card.

Locate a section of lightly travelled 45 MPH limit road where you will not attract any attention. From ~~ 45 MPH make a rapid series of ten 'hard stops' without actually coming to a full stop AND without activating ABS. After about the 5th or 6th stop you should start to smell hot brake pads and maybe even see some smoke from the front brakes. Ignore those signs and complete the series of ten.

Then drive normally for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the rotors/pads to cool down (again try to avoid coming to full stop where you have to clamp the pads against the rotor).

What you are doing is putting enough heat into the rotors and pads to burnish any uneven accumulation/buildup of brake pad material on the rotor surface.

And the cost is less than 1/2 hour of your time and less than one gallon of fuel.
Thanks for the info...I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ranger. I think I'll try your method as finding a stretch of road around here to do Jim's trick might be a problem. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts