Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sefa01 said:
17 seconds behind a Honda 2000? Did you have it in reverse?
Hello Sefa!

Thank you for your usual inspirational and thought provoking remarks.

Correction #1. You looked at the wrong event results. It’s not the 10/2/05 event. It was the 9/30/05 event. You have to select that event before it will display the results.

Correction #2. If you have been to the track you would know that S2000’s with race tires and a large rear wing clean up on cars putting out much more power. It’s all about corner speed on smaller tracks such as Buttonwillow. That being said, the CTS-V was only 1.1 seconds slower then the fastest winged and race tire equipped S2000 at the event. Which is extremely good.

Do you have any lap times for this event? :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
GTP said:
Hello Sefa!

Correction #1. You looked at the wrong event results. It’s not the 10/2/05 event. It was the 9/30/05 event. You have to select that event before it will display the results.

Correction #2. If you have been to the track you would know that S2000’s with race tires and a large rear wing clean up on cars putting out much more power. It’s all about corner speed on smaller tracks such as Buttonwillow. That being said, the CTS-V was only 1.1 seconds slower then the fastest winged and race tire equipped S2000 at the event. Which is extremely good.

I chased an S-2000 at summit point. Caught him in the straights but he could sling shot out of the turns and there a a lot of turns. Its tough to keep up with a go kart.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
sefa01 said:
17 seconds behind a Honda 2000? Did you have it in reverse?
Why yes it was in reverse, while blindfolded, talking on the cell phone all the while drinking a coffee latte you know the stuff you see on the way to work every morning.

Ok somebody do the math the V weighs, what twice as much and 17 secs on a 2.8 mile track, there is some serious hauling ass going on.

Also there are a couple other things that one has to consider:
#1. His car was trailered in and did not have to drive it home and drive to work the next day.
GTP's pics of orange calipers definately effected my stopping strategy, because of (see #1).
Anything I gained on the straights I lost because I had to brake way sooner than the rice cake if I wanted to (see #1).

I also had my 20 yr old son in the passenger seat doing that father/son thing. Did rice cake boy push and stop as much weight? No..

And more importantly GTP and I posted "get off the bench and come spank some bimmers" any takers?... crickets chirping....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Good job, V-Pilots...always nice to see people using the V in the spirit of its design. Very tough job trying to beat the lightweights on tight courses.

Side note...looks like Jacob in his Evo8 handed everyone their asses but Mr.Viper...ON STREET TIRES??? Amazing!!! The 500-790hp Vettes must have felt a little underpowered. Just goes to show what driving skills and a good platform can do.

So please tell us your impressions of the V? How was the balance? Tire sizes? Wheels used? Anything else in regards to overall impressions? I absolutely love these posts, thank you for having the balls to do more than point and shoot driving!
I hope to mount a set of stickies on my stockers next spring, or Falken 615s, and hit the road course with the local V-trackers (you know who you are!!!).

Again, great job with the V. Last thing...has the track experience ruined your fun on the street? After my very first track day with my Ducati, I really found no joy in riding on the street again. I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen with the V, but I have my doubts...once unleashed, its hard to "heel".

Ve good,
ace996

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ace996 said:
Good job, V-Pilots...always nice to see people using the V in the spirit of its design. Very tough job trying to beat the lightweights on tight courses.

Side note...looks like Jacob in his Evo8 handed everyone their asses but Mr.Viper...ON STREET TIRES??? Amazing!!! The 500-790hp Vettes must have felt a little underpowered. Just goes to show what driving skills and a good platform can do.

So please tell us your impressions of the V? How was the balance? Tire sizes? Wheels used? Anything else in regards to overall impressions? I absolutely love these posts, thank you for having the balls to do more than point and shoot driving!
I hope to mount a set of stickies on my stockers next spring, or Falken 615s, and hit the road course with the local V-trackers (you know who you are!!!).

Again, great job with the V. Last thing...has the track experience ruined your fun on the street? After my very first track day with my Ducati, I really found no joy in riding on the street again. I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen with the V, but I have my doubts...once unleashed, its hard to "heel".

Ve good,
ace996
I'll jump in here.

Toyo Proxie T1-R's for me. Car was pretty balanced but the GM wheel hop bushings I think are hindering high speed cornering. I ran the radials and the maximum they where rated for, 44PSI. Worked out great. Unless you have slicks or specific racing tires I have always found running maximum PSI the best on a car this heavy. Less deflection of the sidewall during turns.

Track days never ruin the street. Sure its expensive no matter how you look at it. I added everything up and it costs me $750.00 ever track day I attend. Its worth it in the end.

My day job is Motorsports Manager for the largest sportbike company in America. I know exactly what you speak of with the Duc. In my position I get a chance to ride allot of different bikes. At the end of the day though I find a modified 600cc bike my favorite on the street and track. I still ride the bike and V to the same degree even after taking both of them to track days.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The real low number vettes and Viper boy were full on race prepped running in there own class. They were running in race class, passing all areas so they didn’t have someone in their way to mess up a lap time. Sometimes you’d be behind a slower car and you’d have to wait to get a pass by wave and sometimes you’d be ahead of a lighter car in his way.

The Evo hauled ass and if I didn’t have to get off the gas to go around the corner, well that’s another story.

I bought a set of GM wheels and mounted Dunlop Race rubber mainly because I didn’t want to spank my F1’s. They are my drive to work tires. However first time I went I ran the F1’s, they ran well but the Race rubber felt better probably because I considered them a consumable and pushed them into the corners harder. I’m still quit a bit brake shy because of orange calipers and saw another V crack a rear rotor.

I’ve gotten used to running stabilitrack on full because the Dunlops are rated to 51 psi so I’m in alarm from the start. I don’t mind it because it comes on only when I’ve come into a corner too hot and would have looked foolish going off into the weeds. There have been times when I thought it would have come on and didn’t and a couple of hot turns where it pulled the throttle out, didn’t care for that. Had WRX boy come over and tell me he thought I was way too hot and was certainly going for the weeds but impressed that I drifted it around the turn. I prefer to use it than try to clean the dirt out of the dashboard. You get the evil eye when you hold up the next session because you mess up the schedule. I have found it to be pretty generous and would think on the street you’d have to be pretty crossed up to have it come on. My wife was on the tower and overheard some people talking about how amazed they were that that “Cadillac” was keeping up with the corvettes in the straights. That was worth multiple seconds in my book.

Since I have to drive it home and to work Monday morning I’m there for technique, don't care to be first but don't want to be last. My hope is this time next year to pick up a ’04 lease come back cheap, strip it down, not drive it to work and glow the brakes.

I’ve found that I drive more safely on the street now because I get it out of my system and I now “know” what my car will do and less likely to club baby seals, except for M bimmer boys and the occasional porch.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Aaron,
600cc is all anyone needs, and too much for many to properly handle. My 996 is too much for the track, I just can't use it all. I'd love to buy a crapped-out R6 and just wring the piss out of it as a track-only bike, but my wife would be on the phone with a divorce lawyer before I changed the brake pads!

Hey, did you go to the MotoGP at Laguna? Nice to see Nicky take the win in the USA. And I heard that he set the track record!...even faster than the previous time of a CHAMP car.

In regards to the bushings, any time you tighten/stiffen the rear you're going to have a change in attitude. I noticed it with the Specter bushings...no more give, so she tends to oversteer a bit. I bet if you add 10mm more rubber on your rear wheels you'll help balance it back. When I added underbody bracing/ rear sub-frame bars on my Spyder, she tended to oversteer quite a bit. I had Koni's so I just turned them down a bit in the rear and up a bit in the front, it helped but the wider tires in the rear made the most difference after the apex. I'd like to mount the Hotschkis bars in the Spring but I have some concern as they are 90% stiffer in the rear but only 70% stiffer in front. Would probably be a great autox set-up, but hellacious on a track. Perhaps the 245/275 would work to bring it back, but then again...nobody really knows, yet.

Keep up the good work, I love the calipers!!!!
Ve good,
ace996

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Dennis,
Always best to keep the rubber side down, sounds like you have the proper attitude.

For a side note, and a possible recommendation, if you haven't seen Keith Code's books...Twist of the Wrist, they may be a good read to teach segmentation/problem areas on a track. They are motorcycle books, but I've applied quite a bit of it to my car-life. I've now broken-down the few fun roads I drive into segments, and have learned just about every ripple/crack/marker on them...its fun...adds some interest to the street, and have figured out my lines.
Do you guys know of any car-based books that address the science of road racing? I'd love to delve deeper into it, but am not aware of similar pieces.

Ve good,
ace996

V

·
0 Posts
I instructed for two car clubs this past year at 15 different tracks and have to agree Dennis, driving on the road can be pretty boring. I just set the cruise and blend in with the traffic. But sometimes traffic can make good representation of orange cones as I slice through them. :)

Good job Aaron! Horsepower cars really like more open tracks where they can stretch their legs. The AMGs will turn their silver calibers a nice shade of gold too.

Norm

·
Registered
931 Posts
GTP said:
Hello Sefa!

Still crying because you outsmarted yourself over the UUC shifter. I've run against S2000 at large and small tracks, i.e. Lime Rock and VIR. So I know what they can do on the smaller tracks. Still, 17 seconds...

You might want to make it clear on what you're referring to when you make a post. Not the first time you've obscured things.

And I know if you keep at it long enough, you'll actually learn how to drive the V.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ace,
Thanks for the recommendation. My son and I took the 2 day driver's school back in July and it was funny to see their faces as they came around the table asking us what we where driving and I said Cadillac... long pause dead quiet...
when we got on the track with the instructor on the back stretch and maggie began to sing he was "damn this thing hauls ass." We did follow along with his cobra rustang and I was all over him.

Porch boy came over and said he thought something was wrong with his car because he was getting pulled away from so bad. I let him do a ride along and he said the same thing. It was quite educational for them...

Buttonwillow is running today, but couldn't make it. Willow springs is running early Dec. will probably go there depending on weather. Am planning a trip to Laguna Sega next year.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sefa01 said:
Still crying because you outsmarted yourself over the UUC shifter. I've run against S2000 at large and small tracks, i.e. Lime Rock and VIR. So I know what they can do on the smaller tracks. Still, 17 seconds...

You might want to make it clear on what you're referring to when you make a post. Not the first time you've obscured things.

And I know if you keep at it long enough, you'll actually learn how to drive the V.
I got in on the group purchase for the UUC, so your wares are not a concern of mine.

I might want to make it clear? How about YOU jumping to conclusions by looking up the wrong event date info and speculating I was 17 seconds slower then the S2000’s. Truth be told it was a forum member that was at that event but I will let him come forward and defend himself if he feels so inclined.

Your one of those people I’d love to meet in person. Given your age however I have compassion for my elders.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
No need, 17 sec, 17 hours, 17 miles, it matters not to me.

Had my family there, I was driving my car on a beautiful day doing what this car was built for. Drove it there, drove it home, drove it to work Monday am. Now only if I can talk Andy into letting me drive his CTS-VR a couple laps....

Some of us choose to drive, others to talk..

A bad day driving this car is better than any good day bench racing.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dennisscars said:
No need, 17 sec, 17 hours, 17 miles, it matters not to me.

Had my family there, I was driving my car on a beautiful day doing what this car was built for. Drove it there, drove it home, drove it to work Monday am. Now only if I can talk Andy into letting me drive his CTS-VR a couple laps....

Some of us choose to drive, others to talk..

A bad day driving this car is better than any good day bench racing.
Agreed! I love how people with idle time flock to the internet and waste the time of people who have more inportant things to do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
11 Participants
calicadi