Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '87 fleetwood brougham that I purchased about 2 months ago.

During these past 2 months, I have shampooed the carpets, polished the chrome, cleaned and waxed the painted surfaces.

I am extremely happy with the results so far however, the white vinyl top is being stubborn.

The Chrome is blinding, the white paint is gleaming, but the vinyl has been reduced to an almost cream color, grey in some spots.

I have tried several products with zero success. I believe my only option now is to try and dye the top.

I would really like to do this myself, has anyone here ever dyed or stained vinyl tops? Or know of a product I can use.

I felt I should ask before buying a case of white KIWI shoe polish LOL.

thanks ,
Pwrhse

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
We had the same problem with both our white '92 Roadmaster and our '93 Fleetwood. Both were blackish and looked terrible due to mildew and the like. To get rid of it, we bought a gallon of bleach. Pour some of that into a bucket, and then add water to dilute the bleach. Get a relatively stiff scrub brush and keep getting some of the bleach/water with it, and scrubbing about 1.5x1.5 sections of the roof, hosing the area with the hose for a minute or so. Keep doing this until you've done the whole roof and it's pure white again.

Next, and very important, use a good car soap and wash the car, especially the roof. After dried, apply whatever your desired vinyl treatment is--very important, now that you've stripped the vinyl of everything and it has no protection. I use 303 Aerospace protectant, but you may use something different.

Also, make sure to wear old clothes when doing it, and thick rubber gloves. You don't want the bleach on your hands, and when it gets on your clothes (it will), well, you know what happens. Make sure to hose/wash everything afterwards.

Hope this helps! Ask me any questions if you have them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caddycruiser said:
We had the same problem with both our white '92 Roadmaster and our '93 Fleetwood......
Thanks for your reply, I will definitely try that before I resort to dyeing
the top.

Pwrhse

·
Registered
8 Posts
pwrhse said:
...the white vinyl top is being stubborn.

The Chrome is blinding, the white paint is gleaming, but the vinyl has been reduced to an almost cream color, grey in some spots... has anyone here ever dyed or stained vinyl tops? Or know of a product I can use.
Hey Pwrhse... I don't know if you tried anything that worked yet, but just last weekend I took a couple hours to clean my white vinyl top. It was brand new around 4 years back... but it turned a cream color and collected lots of (grey/black) dirt/buildup around the edges, opera lamps, and behind the Eldorado nameplate.

Anyways, I used Stoner's Trim Cleaner (in an aerosol spray... can be bought at Murray's or other auto parts stores most likely) and sprayed it directly on the vinyl. So if you have a factory vinly top that hasn't been dyed yet, this should work nicely I imagine. I used a towel so nothing got on the paint, and let the solution sit for 10-20 seconds before working at it. I used Q-tips in all the tight spots and a nice clean terry cloth elsewhere. Everything came out whiter than ever... I couldn't believe it was even that bad off. I finished the top off with some Mother's Preserves Trim/Vinyl treatment.

Hope you're having luck over there with one of these threads.

Feel free to give us all an update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
84Eldorado said:
Hope you're having luck over there with one of these threads.

Feel free to give us all an update.

It's been raining almost every day since I started this thread,
have'nt had a chance to do anything to the top yet.

1st thing I'll try is the bleach with a stiff brush (cheapest).

then if that does'nt work to my satisfaction I'll try your suggestion.

I'll try to remember to take some before\after pictures and post the results

Thanks for your reply.

Pwrhse

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
pwrhse said:
It's been raining almost every day since I started this thread,
have'nt had a chance to do anything to the top yet.

1st thing I'll try is the bleach with a stiff brush (cheapest).

then if that does'nt work to my satisfaction I'll try your suggestion.

I'll try to remember to take some before\after pictures and post the results

Thanks for your reply.

Pwrhse

Just remember to dilute it in a bucket of water (don't use pure bleach), half and half. You'll only need to make a few inches in the bucket. Wear thick rubber gloves and old clothes, too. Also, remember to hose thoroughly after each 1-1.5' square section, and follow up by washing it well with a good car soap and applying a lasting vinyl protectant.

This should get it back to new condition, and only cost a couple of bucks ($1 for a gallon of bleach at the Dollar Store).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vinyl top cleaner

I work for a Limo company, we use Soft-Scrub with bleach, a stiff scrub brush, & a LOT of elbow grease! DO wear old clothes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Vinyl top cleaner and OPERA LAMPS

GumbyClayman said:
I work for a Limo company, we use Soft-Scrub with bleach, a stiff scrub brush, & a LOT of elbow grease! DO wear old clothes!
Good tip... how often do you clean the top? Just whenever it starts lookin dirty... or periodically so we don't have to use that much elbow grease?

On another note... GumbyClayman... I've seen limo's that have sweet "opera lamps" (I don't know if that's what they're called these days) that glow whiteish blue rather than the standard yellowish color. They're mounted into the side of the vinyl top, usually 2 to 3 together mounted vertically. I'm thinking about replacing mine since they don't work, but I need to know where to get them from. Do you have any idea, or do you have nothing to do with parts like that? Anyone :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vinyl top cleaning

We scrub the tops once a year OR when they start looking icky, but once a year usually does it.
The lights are called Opera Lights OR Coach Lights, depending on who you're talking to. Or even Side Marker Lights! There are 2 kinds of "Blue" lights that you can get...one has BRIGHT White L.E.D. bulbs...they look "kinda" blue, but there are some that are bright blue...check to see if they're legal in your state!! We get most of our limo parts by mail from either Infinite Innovations www.infiniteinnovations.com or from MTG Technologies www.mtgparts.com I checked both sites, and they both DO carry the Blue Lights. In fact, both places have lotsa' cool stuff for "regular" cars too! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know 303 is great for protecting, but what about rejuvenating it? Is there a good lotion type of stuff that might work? I do alot of detailing and this is one that always stumps me. I know once its cracked you are hosed .... but preventing that and giving it color and suppleness back is another story. Any ideas?

Cujo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Cujo31