Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of restoring my 1980 Fleetwood Brougham and the previous owner got a ziebtart coating, but apparently waited to long to do so, because they trapped more rust than they prevented. My rear driver’s side door is rusted beyond repair, and my question is this. Would a door from a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham fit onto my 1980? Also, would any other years fit my vehicle? It's probably a simple answer, but I'd hate to waste the money, and then find out the door doesn't fit. Thanks.

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
Congratulations on your project. It's fantastic to know you're saving a Cadillac that is quickly becoming scarce.

My *guess* is that any door from a '81-'89 Brougham would work on your '80 Brougham. That said, before you head off to the salvage yard to buy, please wait for a forum member who can positively affirm the interchangeability. I know the opera lamp locations changed during '80-'89, and may have altered door specs somehow. Too bad about the Zeibart - it seems like there are circumstances when the application does the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

As always, would love to see pictures, if possible! Not trying to horn-in on your thread, but here's an unsolicited pic of my '88 Brougham with formal asc roof.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a beautiful car. I originally bought the car in October of 2005, and since then mechanically it's been a very excellent car. My dad and I have started working on getting it ready to paint. The left rear quarter panel has a few rust spots that have rusted completely through, and of course the door is a problem. Luckily I called a salvage yard, and he said the door would only be $52.50 with tax. I have to replace the headliner, because that's finally starting to sag beyond repair, along with the visors. I plan on doing that on my own. The only things I plan on paying someone to do are the vinyl top, paint job, and weld some sheet metal on the quarter panel, but even estimates for that look to run me $400+. Hard to accomplish when you're only 19 and you work at Walgreens for $8.40 an hour.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It sounds like you've got a great start on it. That's fantastic that you can do some of the prepping and bodywork with your dad, too. That will save some serious money. I hear you as for being on a tight budget. The salvage yard you're working with seems to be pretty fair-pricewise. Hopefully, the door comes with the glass, too. I would imagine it would be easy to swap your current interior door skin onto the salvaged one.

Thanks for your comments on my '88. She's not without her flaws. Likewise, I have the sagging headliner, and found these headliner tacks in the automotive section at Wal-Mart that you can screw directly into the headliner to fix the sag. They are essentially the small furniture / armrest cover tacks that have a short corkscrew shaft with a clear head - but they are a little on the unsightly side. I've got the little blisters of rust around the door handles, and the passenger side rear door is starting at the bottom. Plus, my 307 goes through oil. All that, though, and the car still looks pretty good from about 15 feet away.

Does yours have the miles per gallon display next to the climate control? I always thought that was a great feature and wish they kept it for the '88. Do you also have the thermometer embedded in the driver's side mirror? That was a cool feature on some of the earlier Broughams, too.

Well, best of success with it. Keep us posted on your progress!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,836 Posts
If it is a coupe, all doors (rwd) will work from 80 through 85. 4 doors from 80 through 92. Try and get a Fleetwood door - the Deville has different trim.

·
Registered
1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
183 Posts
Does yours have the miles per gallon display next to the climate control? I always thought that was a great feature and wish they kept it for the '88.

An '82 consumer reports (suprise, surprise, an unfavorable review of the Cadillac from those folks) review of the '82 SDV claimed that the mpg display was "designed to make Cadillac owners feel good" and reported better mileage than one actually got.

Who knows...agreed that it was a cool feature and might've been nice to have on the later FWBs.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
the MPG calculator wasn't on the 307 Broughams because it is carburated, the 368 and HT4100 were fuel injection and had the data display. I know, it would have been neat to keep for the later years too, but even with the computer controlled carburator, I don't think it would have been easy to do.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Does yours have the miles per gallon display next to the climate control? I always thought that was a great feature and wish they kept it for the '88. Do you also have the thermometer embedded in the driver's side mirror? That was a cool feature on some of the earlier Broughams, too.
I love my fuel data display. Its not that accurate,but i love having it just to have it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I love my fuel data display. Its not that accurate,but i love having it just to have it.
I hear you, accuracy or not, that is hands-down, a cool feature. The blank piece of plastic trim with the chrome outlined square, which took its place, is bland. Even though it would be inoperable, I've often thought of getting one from a salvage yard and installing it just for the look! These cars were really works of creative genius, and as questionable as the HT-4100 and V-8-6-4's were, the technology was remarkably ahead of its time. Too bad they didn't work out the bugs a few more years in R&D, as they could've perfected some of the design flaws.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I figured since you were all kind enough to help me out, I'd get back to you with details on my adventure to the junk yard. Unfortunately upon arrival we noticed the 1981 Fleetwood Brougham that was the exact same color as mine was gone, but we were fortunate enough to find an 1982 Fleetwood Elegance that's door appears to be the same size as mine. Only downfall is the door is close to a golden brown. Not that big of an issue considering I'm preparing for paint. I also found four hub caps that have no dents or scratches. A little dirty, but nothing I can't clean up. Final thing I found for my car was four cadillac floor mats. The emblem on them is a little worn out, but they're still in pretty nice shape. I also got a few window switches for a Toyota Camry and a Chevrolet Cavalier there. My grand total was $63.00 so I personally think I got away with more than a good deal. It was well worth the work in the 90+ degree weather.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, I figured since you were all kind enough to help me out, I'd get back to you with details on my adventure to the junk yard. Unfortunately upon arrival we noticed the 1981 Fleetwood Brougham that was the exact same color as mine was gone, but we were fortunate enough to find an 1982 Fleetwood Elegance that's door appears to be the same size as mine. Only downfall is the door is close to a golden brown. Not that big of an issue considering I'm preparing for paint. I also found four hub caps that have no dents or scratches. A little dirty, but nothing I can't clean up. Final thing I found for my car was four cadillac floor mats. The emblem on them is a little worn out, but they're still in pretty nice shape. I also got a few window switches for a Toyota Camry and a Chevrolet Cavalier there. My grand total was $63.00 so I personally think I got away with more than a good deal. It was well worth the work in the 90+ degree weather.
Phenomenal, you got bargain, by any measure. Floor mats, even if in fair shape, fetch a high dollar on the 'Bay. Plus 4 Cadillac hubcaps? Outstanding deal all around! Sounds like that salvage yard's Caddies haven't been picked through and depleted.

I once went scavanging for Cadillac owners manuals in a junkyard and had a pretty good haul. The junkyard didn't even charge me for them!

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
I'm in the process of restoring my 1980 Fleetwood Brougham and the previous owner got a ziebtart coating, but apparently waited to long to do so, because they trapped more rust than they prevented. My rear driver’s side door is rusted beyond repair, and my question is this. Would a door from a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham fit onto my 1980? Also, would any other years fit my vehicle? It's probably a simple answer, but I'd hate to waste the money, and then find out the door doesn't fit. Thanks.

Good luck to you on restoring your 1980 Fleetwood Brougham.After reading on how you are going to be putting much time and effort into bringing her back to a better appearance,it really seems like a labor of love for the Caddy.
I know how it is to look through junkyards for parts for my Caddy---someone elses junk is another persons treasure.
I`ve been lucky to have found many hard to find parts on EBAY.

·
Registered
1984 Coupe Deville, 1991 Brougham d'elegance, 1996 Deville
229 Posts
I read about about what you said about being 19 and trying to restore that car, I am in the same postion, only Im 18 and just picked up a 1984 Cadillac Coupe Deville, that is not in teribble condition, but has rust spots on it and cracked fillers and it is tough trying to buy the parts. I'v always been into these type of cars, since I was 9 and I can remember wanting to own one of those big caddys with the "candle looking taillights"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts