Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have this wierd noise I am trying to find. It happens from about 30-60 and it sounds like a resonating tone. It will change in volume but not really in pitch. It almost sounds like tire noise that is resonating but it does it on all different types of pavement and like I said, it doesnt change in pitch relative to speed. Any ideas?

-Eli

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
STSEli said:
Ok, I have this wierd noise I am trying to find. It happens from about 30-60 and it sounds like a resonating tone. It will change in volume but not really in pitch. It almost sounds like tire noise that is resonating but it does it on all different types of pavement and like I said, it doesnt change in pitch relative to speed. Any ideas?

-Eli
I purchased a 96 STS a few weeks ago and have been listening to the exact same noise for the 2000 miles I have owned the car. I am getting ready to attempt to inspect the wheel bearings. It sounds like a wheel bearing noise to me. I am not that familiar with these cars yet but don't think they are supposed to make that noise.

Jon
96STS

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Hub bearings

Sounds like a hub bearing. They can either be a growl or zing based on the failure mode. I have changed the hubs on my '93 SLS 3-4 times already. Not sure why they are dying...but then again the car has 200k on it.

Logan

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
Re: Hub bearings

Logandiagnostic said:
Sounds like a hub bearing. They can either be a growl or zing based on the failure mode. I have changed the hubs on my '93 SLS 3-4 times already. Not sure why they are dying...but then again the car has 200k on it.

Logan
I am surprised that they have to be replaced. I have a 92 Chevy Lumina which just went over 200,000 miles and it did not have any wheel bearing, tie rod, ball joint, steering rack problems. All that stuff is still original and still working properly. I was hoping the STS would do as well. I don't know what the history of my STS is. It may have gone over a bunch of curbs, may have been in deep water, may have gone over many pot holes, I expect to change the bearing and to not have to again. These days cars require fewer repairs. I think there is a problem if wheelbearings only last 70,000 miles. I would not complain if they lasted 170000, but 70k is too soon to wear out in my opinoin.

Jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car only has 30,000 miles on it. If its a hub bearing, I will be very dissapointed.

-Eli

1 - 5 of 5 Posts