Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I ran an onboard diagnostics on my 90 Deville after the "service engine soon" light came on after a long period of time in idle. The computer gave me an E49 code which my hubbie, (who's currently out of town) assures me that it is a Map Sensor and can wait until he can fix it. My question is how do I reset the computer so that the check engine light goes out? The bright orange light is kinda freaking the kids out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
Hi,

E049 code indicates AIR system fault - my car shows it sometimes too, but as i seen, its really dont have effect to performance.
AIR system just pulls more clean air thru exhaust, to make CO readings cleaner...
You can clear codes, when computer is in diagnostic mode (in EGR just press LO button to scroll to the "clean codes" menu and then hit HI button.) In that way you clear all EGR codes.

·
Registered
98 Deville
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vanaisa said:
Hi,

E049 code indicates AIR system fault - my car shows it sometimes too, but as i seen, its really dont have effect to performance.
AIR system just pulls more clean air thru exhaust, to make CO readings cleaner...
You can clear codes, when computer is in diagnostic mode (in EGR just press LO button to scroll to the "clean codes" menu and then hit HI button.) In that way you clear all EGR codes.
Thank you so much, it worked!!

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
This does not work in my 90 Deville...I can hold down the warmer and off buttons to enter diagnostic mode, let the car display the trouble codes, but I can't figure out where to go to clear them. I never get to a "clear codes" option. What does EGR stand for? What am I missing???

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
Snyder81 said:
This does not work in my 90 Deville...I can hold down the warmer and off buttons to enter diagnostic mode, let the car display the trouble codes, but I can't figure out where to go to clear them. I never get to a "clear codes" option. What does EGR stand for? What am I missing???
Its little different in De Ville and Fleetwood:
When ECM enters to the diagnostic mode, its show all codes and then after that, it stays in reading "EGR?" or "7.0" just push simultaneously "hi" and "OFF" buttons - until E 0.0 shown - this clears ECM trouble codes. To clear BCM codes push "OFF" and "lo" buttons (until F 0.0 shows).

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
vanaisa said:
Its little different in De Ville and Fleetwood:
When ECM enters to the diagnostic mode, its show all codes and then after that, it stays in reading "EGR?" or "7.0" just push simultaneously "hi" and "OFF" buttons - until E 0.0 shown - this clears ECM trouble codes. To clear BCM codes push "OFF" and "lo" buttons (until F 0.0 shows).
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! THIS is what I see on my diagnostic readout(the 7.0). I'll take care of this after work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts