Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and test drove a v coupe a few weeks ago. And was blown away I still smile thinking about it. But I want to buy one cash but looking over the problems some people are having knowing 4 or 5 years it will be time to upgrade what do you think the value will be? Probably do minor power upgrades thats it.
Thanks,
Terrance

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Resale on ANY performance car is going to suck. Does not matter whether it is a Benz. BMW, Porsche, Ferrari or Caddy if it is a performance model it will not have great resale. There is always bigger, better, faster car coming out and our old model is passe. Buy it because you like it now not because of what it may be worth in the future. Odds are it won't be worth what you are hoping it will be.

·
Registered
none...yet.
22 Posts
Resale on ANY performance car is going to suck. Does not matter whether it is a Benz. BMW, Porsche, Ferrari or Caddy if it is a performance model it will not have great resale. There is always bigger, better, faster car coming out and our old model is passe. Buy it because you like it now not because of what it may be worth in the future. Odds are it won't be worth what you are hoping it will be.
Completely agreed. Buying a performance car is seldom a rational decision, rather it's usually an emotional one.

However, I have heard people speculating that V-Wagons (especially in the 6-speed variant) could hold their value well over the long-term as they are generally only availalbe through order and regardless will be produced in limited quantities. I would love to see the production numbers on the V's by model year and transmission. Who know's though? When people claim things are going to go up in value, you get hoarders which sometime defeat the purpose in the first place.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
+1

For comparison, M5s drop 40-50% in 2 years and near 60% after 4yrs - retail. You would probably be trading at or slightly below wholesale.

Depreciation $$s bought you the physical car for x years which is tangible in addition to the 'accessible' V experience for the same amount of years which is subjective. Accessible as in available to you but you won’t necessarily be utilizing it every hour of the x years..

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Eldo Convert,83 Deville Patriot,77 Deville,89 Brougham
136 Posts
Resale value on Cadillacs???? Examples: I bought my wife a new 2009 Stealth Grey Escalade in October 2009. Sticker $75K, current trade in value, $47,800. I bought a 2010 Thunder Gray V sedan in April 2010, sticker $68K, current trade in value $56,700.

I agreed with the other posters, buy a Cadillac because you will enjoy driving it while you own it. If you want value, look for a nice 2 year old Cadillac with low mileage and you can usually pay half the original sticker price.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
539 Posts
The only reason you hear that V's have 'a lot of problems' is that you are reading the forums where we discuss every problem ad naseum. And everything is a huge deal. We aren't regular people, we are CAR people.

I think the car has great quality and is probably the best American sedan/sports coupe ever made.

·
Premium Member
1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe
806 Posts
Buy a Jeep Wrangler. Resale is usually the highest of any used vehicle.
"Pay the Man" if you want 'V' performance and style.
Or, you can wait five years and buy a used car that will likely be left in someone's rear-view mirror who has the new higher performance machine. The new car buyer will have driven that used car for a very gratifying five years while you lust after the experience through the Dealer's show room window.
Fact of life, engineering, and economics.
There is hardly a car history not having problems.
PROOF: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/arecalls_auto.htm

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
If you can drop $70K on a car, why ask us? Why would anyone get a loan, and pay interest, over NO interest? There's no question here for me. :)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
The V-Coupe will hold it's value better than the V-Sedan according to the residual values that are listed when you go to lease the vehicle. My V-Coupe lease payment is less than my V-Sedan lease payment. I am sure the V-Wagon will have even higher resale value over the coupe or sedan. If you plan on keeping the car for a good amount of time, you really don't have much to worry about, but if you plan on keeping it for a year or two, be prepared to take a bath. All new cars depreciate the most during the first two years and then it tends to level off after that.

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what you guys are saying is true I got a little blown away buy the problems then the delivery hold. My sure decision this the car I want started to get shaky. I never thought I would like this car or really any Cadillac this much! My 19 year old son keeps reminding me I don't like American cars and maybe my medication is just not right. But it isn't that I took a 5 series out. M3 is way way to small! 5 series with both 300 and 400 horsepower was difficult for me to get in and out. I have psoratic arthritis and the BMW just didn't have the same grin factor. Besides just get in and drive wickedly fast! The V had it going on in spades! I love to corner hard and fast and no problem from the V there! So yes I am in love and really don't want to look any were else. Just got cold feet! There warm again thanks guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts