Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
none
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a 2008 CTS steering wheel in front of me. At least, that's what the guy who sold it to me said.

I'm adapting it to a GM vehicle, a 1998 GMC to be exact. The actual wheel is mated to the column already and works fine. Feels good on the hands too. The rest of the interior already has the Escalade wood trim installed and it's a decent match. Well, decent enough to get away with since the wood pieces are fairly far apart from each other.

The issue I have is that I cannot find a connector diagram giving the purpose of the pins in the connector for the steering wheel buttons. I've searched the forum and found a few good posts (including one with service info) but nothing detailing what each pin is for in the connector. There was one post, but it must have been a newer model becuase the connector was long flat and black as opposed to the one int he wheel I have here.

Here is the connector in question:

It's the big white connector at the top. I suppose the red arrow probably gives it away.....lol.

Here's the data tag on the wheel if there's any GM service type people reading this:

The one lone spade connector is for the horn cover. The Airbag connectors are not used since the 98 doesn't have airbags (3/4 tons came without in 98).

The black connector in the lower part of the picture is for the clockspring that came off a Malibu and fits the GMC column.

Plug and play obviously isn't an option here. It's not a big deal for me as I'll be cutting the ends off the dissimilar connectors and adding ones that mate properly. I really just need to know the pinout on the white connector so I can mate up the buttons with the functions.

I've tried metering the pins but no dice. All I can find by metering (resistance) is the illumination for the buttons and the ground.

Winter is here and I'd sure like to be able to fire up that wheel heat on -15C mornings.......

Anyone want to help a guy out and scan the page in a 2008 service manual for me?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
2008 CTS. In addition to what's shown you have the horn and the wires for heated wheel if so equipped. As you can see the switches are part of a voltage divider network which must be interpreted by the BCM. Not an ease job to use this wheel on another vehicle. But thank God for people willing to try.

·
Registered
none
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps.

I was hoping for the heat diagram as thats what i'm trying to set up at the moment and not having much luck.

I need to get it powered up correctly before i can tell if the wheel heat even works or not...

Edit: on second look, im not so sure thats te wheel i have. The connector is labeled 1-8 yet mine is a-k. Ive been having that trouble a fair bit. Seems eunning down my particular wheel pinout is not an easy task...

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
great white - note the heated steering wheel feature became available only on the 2011 and later model years 2nd gen CTS. Therefore the steering wheel you've obtained is from/for a 2011+ CTS. You'll need to obtain the steering wheel secondary control schematic(s) for a 2011+ CTS. If the BCM ultimately controls the heater in the steering wheel, then you may be facing quite a challenge, possibly on the hardware side (the BCM component itself) and similarly with software (BCM programming). Good luck.

·
Registered
none
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thats probably why i'm having such a hard time finding a 2008.

Thanks for that bit of info.

Theres a module in the wheel itself connecter to the wheel heat.

Whether it operates independently may be another story....

·
Registered
none
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think ive got a busted wheel heat, controller or switch.

I ground all the appropriate grounds by the diagram and power to th module but not a thing happens. No light in the switch, no heat in the wheel.

Bummer....at least it looks nice in the truck.

·
Registered
none
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I could lean on those that have been so kind already a little more......

Could you please go through your materials and post whatever you can find with regards to the steering wheel controls on the 2011 cts heated steering wheel?

Troubleshooting, wiring diagrams, connectors, cruise, heat, blutooth, etc?

this is a good start:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...est-heated-steering-wheel-wiring-diagram.html

But I need more detailed info if possible.

I know it's a lot to ask, but it would really help me out....

·
Registered
none
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it appears I was "snookered".

The yellow wires are the heating elements in the wheel by the diagrams I've seen.

Metering across the connections reveals an open circuit. Tried wire end to wire end and ends to ground. Even went across the red/black wires for good measure.

No dice.

Looks like I've got a wheel with the (apparently) all to common failed heat mat.

Oh well, the wood wheel still looks nice.

Just would have been jammy to have wheel heat when it dips down to -10/-20c.....which happens far too often around here.

Thanks to all that read and posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts