Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado - Polo Green Metallic
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After living with the constant "loose lumber" noise (as GM puts it) over every single bump or imperfection in the road, I've purchased a set of front strut mounts for my 97 Eldo.

GM's TSB #53-33-04B clearly explains the problem, and another contributing sign of worn upper strut mounts is the "memory steering" problem that goes along with this issue. When the mounts are worn enough to allow the struts to make noise over bumps, the bearing is worn enough to cause the struts to bind in the bearings when turning, causing hard steering, and poor centering.

So, the mounts will be here in a few, and Friday I will be changing them. I'm going to be doing to job at my old High School, so I won't have to rent a spring compressor, and more importantly, because they've got a lift (important, at least, to my back and knees!)

Are there any tips to doing the job? I know I've got to scribe the knuckle before removing the strut assembly. Should I be expecting to replace any strut bellows or seats while I've got the spring off? My shocks are in great shape (as far as damping goes...) Hopefully, the only things that have worn are the bearings in the mount, and not my struts.

I just changed the oil and the coolant about two months ago, but I think while I have the car up in the air, I'll change the fuel filter. (There's nothing like the feeling of fuel running down your arm while you're on your back on the ground changing a fuel filter!) Anything else to check or change while I've got the car on the lift?

Also, a side question. I purchased my car with 16" chrome wheels. Looking at all of the parts info, these wheels are not original to the year of the car. (Or even the model, if I'm correct...) What year/model Caddy's used these wheels?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
There is a very nice write up about replacing front struts on a 98 SLS. It comes with pictures too. Front suspension system of Seville 98+ and eldo are a bit different.
This is Seville 98+ diagram:

1) FRONT HUB
2) KNUCKLE
3) LOWER CONTROL ARM
4) LOWER BALL JOINT
5) STRUT MOUNT
6) UPPER INSULATOR
7) DUST SHIELD
8) COIL SPRING
9) LOWER INSULATOR
10) STRUT
11) STABILIZER BAR
12) BUSHINGS
13) MOUNTING BRACKET
14) LINK

And this is Eldo:

1) Standard suspension Standard suspension Back
2) Code 6lb 7lb Code 6lb 7lb Back
3) Dust cover Back
4) Bumper Back
5) Spring seat Back
6) Upper insulator Back
7) Lower insulator Back 8) Upper mount Back
9) Cover Back
10) Stabilizer bar W/standard susp
11) Bushing Standard suspension Back
12) Clamp Clamp Right
13) Stabilizer link Back

However this write up can still help.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...w-replace-front-struts-documented-photos.html

I would suggest replacing insulators too.

by the way, and about the rims, I have seen those rims on Seville SLS too.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado - Polo Green Metallic
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha. Thanks for that info. I'll pick up a set of insulators before I do the job.

And with that wheel info, Compnine says these wheels are "PX2's" found on 98-01 Seville SLS, Eldorado, DeVille, etc.

Thanks,
Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts