Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've tracked my buzzing noise to the water pump, guess the bearings are going. They've earned it after 21 years!

I'm going to replace it next week - with an AC Delco pump. Never having done one on a sideways V-8, I'm asking for tips, pitfalls, advice from the techs and shadetree guys who've been there. I have the FSM with the instructions, but there's always that one thing you only learn with experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
[2]2002 DHS
16 Posts
i just did the water pump on my 87 bout a month ago. wasn't as bad as i thought. just remember; keep track of the screws and the studs( there are bout 19) and where they go, the pulley will come loose, but will only come off with the pump, it will not clear the inner fender of the car, there are two bolts on the bottom, the rest can be accessed from the top. to make your life easier loosen the bracket for the accumulator(the round shiny canister) and suspend it with a coat hanger. i hooked mine around the hose and hooked the other end to the hood support on the other side. its really not that bad and i had mine done in two hours in the dark. good luck

·
Registered
76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)
668 Posts
Did you break any bolts/screws/studs/all other doo-dads they seem to have used when you took the pump off?

·
Registered
did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs
517 Posts
The FIRST THING you want to do is loosen the water pump pulley bolts while the belt is on!

That is the only real difficulty-generating point, as the shallow torx bolts won't go anywhere if the pulley is still on....

Other than that, it's pretty cake... :)

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I had the pulley and belt removed before attempting the Torx bolts. The one in the center was absolutely frozen. Cadillac actually had a service bulletin on that very problem years ago. They didn't offer any remedy, just a warning to beware drilling in the area because of the proximity to the water jacket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts