Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao from Italy! My SRX has recently been making a ratcheting noise during hard acceleration. I don't generally get on the accelerator very hard, so it's not really a problem. But I'm going to be selling the car soon to move back to the States and I don't want to leave the new owner with any known problems. I would greatly appreciate help and advice!

Unfortunately, small town Italy is not a good place to have this problem looked at. But from researching on this forum, it seems that the noise is probably caused by a worn transfer case chain. A couple of questions:

1. Does this seem to be the correct diagnosis?
2. If I ordered the necessary parts from the States, what exactly do you suggest I order? Just the chain itself?

Because of the amount of time it takes to get things shipped, I'd want to have the most likely parts on hand, before the TC was even opened. So I would appreciate a list of what might be required.

Final question:

Any idea if any European cars use the same transfer case? Perhaps parts and service would be readily available there.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Transfer case is a Borg Warner 4476 if that's any help and it can be replaced with a 4479.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Yes, that sounds like an accurate diagnosis.

There are a few BMW cars that use the same Transfer Case so there is probably a method to obtain a new chain there.

This is the chain I bought for my parents SRX $130 USD (also ships worldwide) it is the latest revision of the chain and arrived without issue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190871952954
Their SRX was doing the same as yours is now, they had gotten to the point of it making noise at every attempt to accelerate from a stop. The only part needed was the chain + some manual transmission fluid for the case.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I also found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281184204191. I think I can get it here for under $200 total. Not sure how hard it will be to find a mechanic who can do the work. Back home in the States, I'd have tools and options. Here, not so much. :(

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
They are almost the same USD price so which ever can get you the best rate on shipping will be the better buy. They are the same chain.

There is a DIY thread on here if you do have a few tools ...

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
Did mine after reading procedure on this forum. Minimum amount of tools required and not that hard. Probably the hardest procedure was removing nuts holding exhaust on(rust). They broke off so I replaced with
new bolts. Mine is a 2004 and yours is a 2005 and from what I read here if gears(sprockets) need to be replaced they must be pressed off and back on as compared to just sliding off on 2004's.
Evidently they used a slightly different transfer case after 2004. Check out posts on this forum which have plenty of info. Good luck

·
Registered
2005 SRX
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll definitely have to get a mechanic to do the work. My car is in the parking lot of our apartment building and my tools here consist of screwdrivers, a hammer, and a couple of different pliers! :) Italy is beautiful, but sometimes I miss the States!

·
Registered
SRX'05 4.6L
235 Posts
Did mine after reading procedure on this forum. Minimum amount of tools required and not that hard. Probably the hardest procedure was removing nuts holding exhaust on(rust). They broke off so I replaced with
new bolts. Mine is a 2004 and yours is a 2005 and from what I read here if gears(sprockets) need to be replaced they must be pressed off and back on as compared to just sliding off on 2004's.
Evidently they used a slightly different transfer case after 2004. Check out posts on this forum which have plenty of info. Good luck
Mine is December 2004 but 2005 model year. I read the instructions in another thread and still not sure if there is any difference between BW4476 and 4479 chains, some say they are identical, some sway 4479 is a 40/60 torque version and thus better. But do sprockets stay the same for either chain? I only heard rattling one time and don't think I'll have issues with sprockets or gears and don't want to replace them.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
I believe the chain is the same but the sprockets are different. To confirm this get on Cobra tran. site. When I did mine I replaced the sprockets just
to be safe and not have to do it over again. I think it cost me $350 in parts,better than $2500 quote from dealer. Probably 8 hrs. of labor and 24
hrs. waiting for sealer to dry. Really was quite easy!

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
If I wasn't leaving on a Scandinavian cruise in 5 weeks I might consider it. The closest I will be to you is Warnemunde,Germany,I believe. Should I bring my tools?LOL

·
Registered
2005 SRX
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In 5 weeks, German weather should be very nice! It's about a six hour drive for us to get to Garmish (southern Germany) from here. But you'll be in the far northern parts, so double that!

We really like Germany...everything seems so much cleaner, neater, and orderly in Germany and we have found more English speakers there. We can usually muddle through the language barrier in Europe, but it's quite comforting to be able to speak one's mother tongue in other countries!

Enjoy your trip! :)

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
Have been to Germany years ago. Loved it! Got thrown in jail in Munich but that's another story. Good luck with your tran. case chain. I'm sure we will enjoy our cruise,can't wait.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will return to the States this fall via a Disney cruise. That's also the way we moved to Europe in 2013. It seems to be a very cost-effective means of transporting a large family with a lot of stuff. I wouldn't mind not getting off the ship in the various ports (except for the Bahamas!).

We went to Munich and watched the movie "Frozen" in English. That's less exciting than getting arrested in Munich, but probably more fun! ;)

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD, 2008 STS V8 RWD
51 Posts
The difference between 40/60 and 50/50 split is the way main gear assembly with bunch of planetary gears is installed. I have ALLDATA manual and in it they warn you about installing that assembly certain way. Flipping it over changes ratio to 40/60. I double checked that assy when I was putting my transfer case back together - it does fit both ways. Chain is the same for 4476 and 4479. New (improved) chain has 2 blue links - old one had one.

----------

BTW above mentioned e-bay pages both have chain description wrong! 4476/4479 chain has 37 links and not 74. I ended up buying from vital_parts because they were close to me in Oregon. They shipped my chain very quickly in a padded envelop without factory packaging whatever that is. Well that was their f**k up because they sent me the wrong chain the first time. Took them a second attempt to get correct chain to me.

P.S. anyone interested in a chain with 43 links? I think it is for Ford 150/250 transfer cases. Pay my postal expenses and chain is yours free. :)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
The difference between 40/60 and 50/50 split is the way main gear assembly with bunch of planetary gears is installed. I have ALLDATA manual and in it they warn you about installing that assembly certain way. Flipping it over changes ratio to 40/60. I double checked that assy when I was putting my transfer case back together - it does fit both ways. Chain is the same for 4476 and 4479.
Where does it say this exactly? I've not seen this in my alldata ...

----------

Oh hey, I found it now...

Code:
Important: The planetary differential gears are timed to the sun gears. If the gears are not timed properly, the differential will not rotate without binding - 40/60 ratio. 
Important: The input shaft must be installed to the carrier with the raised bosses facing up and the thrust washer groove facing down. Reversing this causes a mis-build, and the wrong torque split of 60/40.
When I read your post the first time it seemed to suggest that if installed one way you'd have a 50/50 split, and if installed the other way you'd get a 40/60 split... the truth is that you either have 40/60 or 60/40 split depending on the orientation.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD, 2008 STS V8 RWD
51 Posts
quote:

Transfer Case: Service and Repair
3. Transfer case Assemble
16. Install the upper sprocket (107) and the sun gear (110) to the input shaft (118).

Important: The carrier assembly (111) can be installed with the groove around the splines to the inside. This
will cause the wrong torque split of 60/40

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SRX
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ciao from Italy! My SRX has recently been making a ratcheting noise during hard acceleration. I don't generally get on the accelerator very hard, so it's not really a problem. But I'm going to be selling the car soon to move back to the States and I don't want to leave the new owner with any known problems. I would greatly appreciate help and advice!

Unfortunately, small town Italy is not a good place to have this problem looked at. But from researching on this forum, it seems that the noise is probably caused by a worn transfer case chain. A couple of questions:

1. Does this seem to be the correct diagnosis?
2. If I ordered the necessary parts from the States, what exactly do you suggest I order? Just the chain itself?

Because of the amount of time it takes to get things shipped, I'd want to have the most likely parts on hand, before the TC was even opened. So I would appreciate a list of what might be required.

Final question:

Any idea if any European cars use the same transfer case? Perhaps parts and service would be readily available there.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Final update: The transfer case was really starting to grind whenever any torque was demanded. Up a steep hill, trying to merge on the highway, etc. So I purchased a chain from a UK seller via eBay. Paid a lot more than in the U.S. (about $280), but at arrived in about a week (vs. weeks, months, or not at all from the States!). Paid a local shop to install it for about $400. But she purrs like a kitten now! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts