1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top picture is the OEM reflector
Middle picture is the replacement insert with LED's in "off" mode
Bottom picture is lighted up in "tail light" mode.

I wired them to be tail lights / turn signals / and stop lights

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ebay and Amazon both list two different styles of LED's, one like the style I got and another one with a single LED strip down the middle.
They will list them as being for the 2017 XT5's but I talked with a few sellers and they said they would fit a 2019.

The set I got only has 3 wires: neg, tail lights, and stop lights. So if you want to use them as tail lights you won't be able to use them with a turn signal function.
I have mine wired for turn signals and brake lights. They are a nice cherry red and match well. I used a 4 flat connector ( just taped up the tail light wire ) and plugged them into the hitch wiring.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,726 Posts
Ebay and Amazon both list two different styles of LED's, one like the style I got and another one with a single LED strip down the middle.
They will list them as being for the 2017 XT5's but I talked with a few sellers and they said they would fit a 2019.

The set I got only has 3 wires: neg, tail lights, and stop lights. So if you want to use them as tail lights you won't be able to use them with a turn signal function.
I have mine wired for turn signals and brake lights. They are a nice cherry red and match well. I used a 4 flat connector ( just taped up the tail light wire ) and plugged them into the hitch wiring.
Can you post some photos of your work, wiring / connections... Thanks, great find....

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you post some photos of your work, wiring / connections... Thanks, great find....
Here are the LED reflector replacements that show the 3 connections and mounting:

Here are the wiring diagrams for the LED's and the trailer harness:

To save breaking into the vehicle wiring I bought a trailer pigtail so I could just plug the LED's into the hitch wiring. If you don't have the hitch and wiring, you
can buy the trailer hitch wiring harness for the XT5 separately for $16 and it just plugs into the existing plug at the rear of the vehicle. (Thank You GM)

You can just cut off the excess if you don't need the plug for a trailer.....better to just get a male pigtail and wire the LED's to that (IMO)
As I mentioned before because there are only three leads from the LED's you can't (easily) have stop/turn/tail lights. I connected the
black/grounds from both LED's to the white/ground of the trailer plug and then the left turn trailer wire (yellow) to the LED's left white and red
wires. Then the right wire (green) of the trailer wiring is connected to the white and red leads of the right LED's. This gives me turn signals and brake lights.
You can just twist the wires together temporarily until you make sure everything is working the way you want, then a drop of solder and tape to make it
permanent. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,726 Posts
Here are the LED reflector replacements that show the 3 connections and mounting:
View attachment 583916 View attachment 583917
Here are the wiring diagrams for the LED's and the trailer harness:

View attachment 583923 View attachment 583924

To save breaking into the vehicle wiring I bought a trailer pigtail so I could just plug the LED's into the hitch wiring. If you don't have the hitch and wiring, you
can buy the trailer hitch wiring harness for the XT5 separately for $16 and it just plugs into the existing plug at the rear of the vehicle. (Thank You GM)

View attachment 583925

You can just cut off the excess if you don't need the plug for a trailer.....better to just get a male pigtail and wire the LED's to that (IMO)
As I mentioned before because there are only three leads from the LED's you can't (easily) have stop/turn/tail lights. I connected the
black/grounds from both LED's to the white/ground of the trailer plug and then the left turn trailer wire (yellow) to the LED's left white and red
wires. Then the right wire (green) of the trailer wiring is connected to the white and red leads of the right LED's. This gives me turn signals and brake lights.
You can just twist the wires together temporarily until you make sure everything is working the way you want, then a drop of solder and tape to make it
permanent. Hope this helps.
Wow, more than I expected! Great job and I like the way you did it without cutting into any factory wiring. I'm sure others will appreciate your effort and find!

Question, if the lights are off, do they still have built in reflectors?

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, more than I expected! Great job and I like the way you did it without cutting into any factory wiring. I'm sure others will appreciate your effort and find!

Question, if the lights are off, do they still have built in reflectors?

Thank You Nice Ride,
Here are two more pictures to show the wiring and hitch plug pigtail, the bundle gets taped back up to make it tidy.

The LED's have a gold reflective quality but as far as an honest to goodness reflector....not so much.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,642 Posts
The LED's have a gold reflective quality but as far as an honest to goodness reflector....not so much.
Is there a warning on the packaging that the reflective quality does not comply with NHTSA requirements?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good afternoon, did you purchase your lights from EBAY or Amazon......I purchased a set from Amazon (Miniclue, Part number MINI-RB-036R) and they are too small. I own a 2017 XT5 AWD, Description states that they will fit but do not..Too small, just curious if you ran into the same issue. Thank you for your time

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good afternoon, did you purchase your lights from EBAY or Amazon......I purchased a set from Amazon (Miniclue, Part number MINI-RB-036R) and they are too small. I own a 2017 XT5 AWD, Description states that they will fit but do not..Too small, just curious if you ran into the same issue. Thank you for your time
But I did get my logo puddle lights from miniclue on Amazon and they weren’t even remotely close to fitting.

·
Registered
2019 PLT. XT-5 Crystal White Tricoat & Maple Sugar/Black
14 Posts
Thank You Nice Ride,
Here are two more pictures to show the wiring and hitch plug pigtail, the bundle gets taped back up to make it tidy.

View attachment 584013 View attachment 584014

My vehicle didn't come with a factory hitch, but I like they way you used the trailer lighting plug to power the new lights. So, I'm wondering if those without a factory hitch come with the pigtail. Where would you begin looking?.
I've sort-of looked in the spare tire area, but getting the spare tire foam insert filler pieces removed seem to be bolted in, so far I can't see any wiring for the rear lights.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
186 Posts
Just curious..
Why did you choose to not use the tail light function? Both white wires to the brown wire of the trailer pigtail would give you running, brake and turn signals.

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My vehicle didn't come with a factory hitch, but I like they way you used the trailer lighting plug to power the new lights. So, I'm wondering if those without a factory hitch come with the pigtail. Where would you begin looking?.
I've sort-of looked in the spare tire area, but getting the spare tire foam insert filler pieces removed seem to be bolted in, so far I can't see any wiring for the rear lights.

My XT5 didn’t come with the hitch either. See post 7...buy the wiring pigtail for $16

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just curious..
Why did you choose to not use the tail light function? Both white wires to the brown wire of the trailer pigtail would give you running, brake and turn signals.
Because your way both turn signals would flash when you put left or right turn on, I wanted tail/turn/stop but not possible.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
186 Posts
I disagree..
The brown wire of the trailer connector is running lights. It won't flash. If connected to the white wire of the LED it should give you a less bright light when the running lights are on. Then the left red wire to the left turn of the trailer connector and the right red wire to the right turn of the trailer connector should give you brighter brake and turn signals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts