Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever had their fuel lines replaced on their fleetwood? I just bought mine, didn't know it had a fuel leak, because the guy I bought it from had a gravel driveway. In anycase, I got it home, saw a small puddle on my driveway, got under the car, found out some things.

1) My fuel return line is leaking.
2) The supply line has been replaced, with copper.
3) All the lines are rusty as anything

In anycase, i was limpin her along hoping it wouldn't crap out too bad before I could get some estimates. Well, 2 weeks later the return line crapped out bad. Drained 30 bucks of gas on my driveway in 2 days. I'm driving around in my mom's old 95 lumina until I get this fixed. Does anyone know about how much this job is to fix it? I want all these lines replaced, they're 17 yrs old and gonna go out soon enough. Midas quoted me over 500 bucks to replace all three lines (Supply and both returns) and Procare quoted me about 380 to do just the return lines. I think both these estimates are way too friggin high. If it's gonna cost me this much, I might as well take it to a dealer!

By the way, she's an 85 with that stupid HT4100 motor.

-Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
:hide: The price is correct. :hide:
:hide: You don't want to know what the dealer would cost. :hide:

:halo: Good news: :halo:
:thumbsup: You can repair this yourself. :thumbsup:
Go to your local generic automotive parts-R-us.
#1. Ask for a small tubing cutter zero too half inch, and buy it.
#2. Select the worst tube first and be sure the fuel tank is empty.
#3. Cut only the tube you will replace that day.
#4. Cut out a four inch section.
#5. Take the cut section to your local generic automotive parts-R-us.
#6. Tell them you need a roll of bulk tube matching the cut section, not less than eighteen feet long.
#7. Ask them for a box of thirty six P clips and screws to mount the tubes with, that should be enough for all three lines. Note, you will have extra.
#8. Buy eight stainless steel or brass Tube to Tube Compression Unions, this gives you two spares.
Note:
The best compression fittings for this are stainless steel, but they are high priced, here is where you can order them, expect $13.00 - $25.00 each. http://www.swagelok.com/
#9. Cut the old tube ten inches from the engine and as close to the fuel tank as you can, while still leaving ten inches to work with.
#10. Remove the old line from the car.
#11. Unroll the tube; feed it in through the hood, all the way to the fuel tank.
#12. Attach the new line to the tank line with a Tube to Tube Compression Union.
#13. Bend twenty four inch sections to fit the body contours and mount your first two P clips, repeat until you reach your last section by the engine.
#14. Cut off the excess tube, leave at least several extra inches on the car, you can always cut off more.
#15. Test fit the Tube to Tube Compression Union and cut the tube as needed for a good fit.
#16. Repeat steps #1. through #15. until all tubes are replaced.

#17. Add five gallons of fuel to the tank.
#18. Start the car and check all unions for leaks.
#19. Take the car for a short drive, less than a mile.
#20. Inspect for leaks again at all unions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
whunter