Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS '06
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have stock HIDs and just bought some 5000k replacement bulbs. I know most people recommend removing the bumper, but I was wondering if this is less necessary if there is no mounting of ballasts needed etc. and just a swap of bulbs. Has anyone found that this is easier done by going through the engine bay, when not having to install a whole kit. Also, how to the stock bulbs come out? Twist? Screws?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i have a feeling you have to use specific bulbs for the stock pluggs and balast....im not sure though...and there is a thread that just came up about changing the bulbs without removing the bumper.
i havent changed the bulbs on the cts but i have never seen a bulb on a car that needs screws to hold it in.(and i have changed a lot)..i think some chryslers have a dumb wire clip on them....bad design. most just go in and twist.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Ironically Mike, the d1s is the same design as the chryslers. But way better, as far as loosing it to get the bulb out. I've worked on a few chryslers before for lights, and I felt like I was going to break the housing.

As far as getting to the bulbs from the engine bay, it's possible. But it may take as much time as it would in taking the bumper off. Because you will have to remove the air filter container, good time to replace the filter. As well as the fuse box, though I don't know if you would have to unplug anything. I personally would find it easier to take the bumper off, but that's me.
KOT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts