Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just replaced the head unit last week in my Deville, and I picked up some 6x9 speakers to replace the original back speakers. I'm having a hard time getting at the old ones to remove them. Any help/ instruction would be appreciated. I also planning on doing the front speakers next week (I think they're 4x6) do those grates on the dash just pop off?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
redsoxfan said:
Hey folks,

I just replaced the head unit last week in my Deville, and I picked up some 6x9 speakers to replace the original back speakers. I'm having a hard time getting at the old ones to remove them. Any help/ instruction would be appreciated. I also planning on doing the front speakers next week (I think they're 4x6) do those grates on the dash just pop off?

Thanks
welcome btw
thanks for signing up
ok here goes.
to replace the 6x9 you have to either go in through the trunk and go that route or take out the back seat and then take off the trim so you can get to the fabric on the rear deck and then the screws for the speakers.

about the fronts yes the grates should just pop off.

Are you running it with the stock tuner or not. you amping the speakers. what speakers you using.

if you need more help just ask and someone will chyme in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the original tuner with a Sony tuner/CD player (52Wx4 channels). I had that CD player in a Grand Marquis I had that was hit by a dui and totalled.Thought it'd be hard to replace but it was pretty easy even for a novice like me. I got some Pioneer 240W 6x9's for the back and a Pioneer 450 watt sub both online pretty cheap (not the current models). The trunk in the Deville is huge and I can get in there to the speakers but all the screws I can see holding them in place come down from above. I have no idea how to take out the backseat but it seems that is what I have to do. Any tips on how to do this are welcome.

(thanks for that first response)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
redsoxfan said:
I replaced the original tuner with a Sony tuner/CD player (52Wx4 channels). I had that CD player in a Grand Marquis I had that was hit by a dui and totalled.Thought it'd be hard to replace but it was pretty easy even for a novice like me. I got some Pioneer 240W 6x9's for the back and a Pioneer 450 watt sub both online pretty cheap (not the current models). The trunk in the Deville is huge and I can get in there to the speakers but all the screws I can see holding them in place come down from above. I have no idea how to take out the backseat but it seems that is what I have to do. Any tips on how to do this are welcome.

(thanks for that first response)
To remove the back seat your going to have to start pulling and don't be afraid of breaking it. The first part is to remove the bottom half of the seat by pulling it up and towards you. I really had to yank to get my old one out. From there you need to take out the back part so you can get to the carpet that goes over the speakers. Once you get the carpet up u should have no problem

Since you have the back seat torn up you might as well run your speaker, power, etc.... wire. it will save you time.
If you need more explanation just let me know.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
you shouldnt have to do all that just to replace the 6x9s. In my 90 Coupe, all i had to do was take out the boxes from the trunk and then you can get to the screws that hold them in. To take the boxes out, get in the trunk and there should be two round things on each box, pull those off and pull out the box. Simple as that. for the dash, you really have to yank on those air vents. If you have a long enough screw driver you might be able to just slid it threw the vents to the screws. Dont forget the glove box too. Its not that hard.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
35 Posts
Adding to what Devillish said bout the screws in the vents there are 4 there 3 at top near windshield and 2 above glovebox, unplug 2 sensors when you pull entire dash top out and there are the fronts

jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just replaced the entire sound system in my 89 deville a month ago. First off to remove the front speakers I would follow these instructions. I'm not sure why people rip their front grills off when the entire dash needs to be removed.

To remove the rear speakers you do not have to remove the bottom of the seat only the back. First off you need to remove the headrest, pull the shoulder strap of the seatbelt over and you should see a chrome philips screw, remove those on both sides and then carefully remove the plastic part. Once those are removed you should be able to see a bolt on each side...remove those and the headrest will come off...take that out of the car. Now you can remove the back seat. At the bottom where your seatbelt buckles are located, spread the seats apart and you should see 2 nuts that hold the seatbelt straps down...they also hold down the back of the seat...remove the nuts and the seat will slide straight up...then remove from the car. Now you can get to the lid that covers the speakers. Carefully work this out of the back window....it is partially underneath the side panels so take care when removing so you dont wreck anything. Once you have that out you can get to the speakers.

I also ran my amp power wires down the drivers side of the car and ran the RCA cables down the passenger side of the car while the back seat was out, which made things a lot easier.

I am pretty sure your car is the same as mine so you should be able to do the front and rear speakers in 2 hours easy. I think it took me 4 hours to install all 4 speakers, head unit and subwoofer.

hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i looked at that page, for the rear, i guess in the sedan deville you gota remove the seat, that sucks, in my coupe, took me 10 mins to change the 6x9s.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All you have to do it tae out the screws and bolts in the area where the seat belt meets the headrest part of the back seat. Once you getthem out, you can take the headrest part out, then lift the thingy covering the speakers out. Once you do that, the speakers are there and you pop them out of the little bracket thingy, and remove the speakers from the wire. That hard part is getting the speaker itself out of the little holder. The screws are so hard to remove because they are so compact. These are the steps that I did to get them out of my caddy. I don't know if they vary at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help people. Speakers are in. I still have to buy an amp but I got another sub. The speakers and head unit are already a big improvement over the originals. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a full on 1000 watt system. Makes those long ass drives a lot more fun. Of course when the wife and kid are in the car it's wasted wattage.

I really do appreciate all the help.

Peace.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yeah, my '93 DeVille (same style) the rear speakers are in baskets in the trunk, just unscrew the 2 round thingys and they come right down..... my rear 6x9's are Infinity Kappa 693.5i, really nice, but I had to modify (crappy job at cutting) the box a little so the magnet would fit. my HU is an Alpine CDA-9807, my car has 5 1/4" speakers in the bottom of the doors and then tweeters in the dash, but either way, it is the same thing, and you HAVE to take the whole top of the dash out, at first it is a pain, but if your like me and took it off about 6 times in 3 weeks, it gets real easy to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts