Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990.5 Allante
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks,

I'm new here and am a recent owner of a 1990 Allante (might actually be a 90 1/2, not sure :hmm:)

Anyway, my new to me toy seems to have it's fair share of common Allante issues. As I type this, my lil red caddy is at the shop getting
new calipers and brake lines installed, as well as a system flush, then it's off to the muffler shop to have the catalytic converter replaced.

One of the things I noticed, while test driving it, was that the stereo doesn't seem to work. No sound coming from the speakers, radio
doesn't seem to scan or seek.

After reading multiple articles, about the audio system in these cars, it seems that when it works, it's great, but when it doesn't, well,
you guys probably know better than me.

All of that to say this... As tall as that radio stack is, it looks like one of these modern units ...

http://www.carid.com/planet-audio/in-dash-double-din-dvd-cd-mp3-usb-sd-car-stereo-receiver-mpn-pnv9680.html

would fit just fine.

This also seems like it would allow me to replace the "amplified" speakers as well, with newer more robust speakers now available.

I would greatly appreciate any insight, advice and or pictures any of you might have on this matter.

Thanks

Dino

·
Registered
'92 ALLANTE & 02 EXT
114 Posts
You will have to bypass "everything" in the system in order to get an aftermarket system to work not to mention destroying the originality of the car.
But if you don't plan to re-sell then who cares.
Personally I would not do it but that is only my opinion.

·
Registered
allante
58 Posts
I have to agree with Tn Kjun I thought about up dating but the cost ect. to do was much more in cost as well as the headaches than replacing the ordinal

·
Registered
1990.5 Allante
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback folks. I'm still probably gonna go down that path. Can't help but think that if these newer gps units had been around, when the Allante was designed, that they would have had em. Besides, it seems like the majority of the posts here are about folks having some sort of problem with their audio system. Can't tell ya the last time I had problems with any of my other car's stereos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts