Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 ELDORADO Convertible. I am considering replacing the HT4100. It's also FWD. Any suggestions?
84ELDO

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
the only logical swap would be an '88-'90 4.5..... IIRC is is almost a direct swap.... maybe someone else can add more info.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd have to check, but I believe the powertrain on the '84 is a longitudinal engine with a trans that is a derivative of the 200r4.

The 4.x FWD engines are transverse with a transverse tranny.

I suspect, if I'm right about the engines, that the subframe is longitudinal as well with "standard" rwd-type motor mounts.

If emissions weren't a consideration, I would think shoehorning in a 472 or 500CID eldorado powertrain (with the TH400-based transaxle) (which was also longitudinal) would be a fun project. I imagine the fabrication involved to get the transverse 4.x powertrain into the 4100 longitudinal engine bay would be pretty extensive and not give any real benefit.

Does the '84 have a strut-based (no upper control arms) or shock-based front suspension? Either way, its no small project.

I don't know much about those old powertrains. Does the trans bolt pattern fit other GM engines? Perhaps a 350 chevy could fit in, maybe something like an LT1. Doubt the trans would last long, but that's the "fun" of GM FWD transaxles in general.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts