Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ckucia 
#1 ·
I have a 1984 ELDORADO Convertible. I am considering replacing the HT4100. It's also FWD. Any suggestions?
84ELDO

#3 ·
I'd have to check, but I believe the powertrain on the '84 is a longitudinal engine with a trans that is a derivative of the 200r4.

The 4.x FWD engines are transverse with a transverse tranny.

I suspect, if I'm right about the engines, that the subframe is longitudinal as well with "standard" rwd-type motor mounts.

If emissions weren't a consideration, I would think shoehorning in a 472 or 500CID eldorado powertrain (with the TH400-based transaxle) (which was also longitudinal) would be a fun project. I imagine the fabrication involved to get the transverse 4.x powertrain into the 4100 longitudinal engine bay would be pretty extensive and not give any real benefit.

Does the '84 have a strut-based (no upper control arms) or shock-based front suspension? Either way, its no small project.

I don't know much about those old powertrains. Does the trans bolt pattern fit other GM engines? Perhaps a 350 chevy could fit in, maybe something like an LT1. Doubt the trans would last long, but that's the "fun" of GM FWD transaxles in general.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.