Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 SLS had to have ONE fuel injector replaced some years ago and the dealer charged the warranty company $800! My car has had the fuel rails replaced to the stainless steel type and there is an excellent write-up in tech tips here on how to diagnose bad injectors. My question is once a bad injector(s) is found, how to you replace it? Do you need any special tools? I wondered if anyone out there can outline the process (pictures are always nice, but good descriptions are fine). Thanks – I will keep the replies for future reference.
(If there is a tech tip on how to replace them, I could not locate it...if there is one, a link in a reply is fine too)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is pretty rare that one needs replaced, depending on where you live.

It is a fairly simple procedure, maybe this weekend I could offer some advice, but not sure about photos.
Pretty busy right now.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
hmm, i have quite the experience removing and installing fuel injectors. one weekend thats all i did. i was going to take pics of the steps and put them on here. ill do my best to list the steps on removing and installing

1. remove the negative battery cable. (red)
2. take off beauty cover, (big plastic grey cover that has 4 nuts)
3. relieve the fuel system pressure.
4. remove the front four spark plug wires (easier to work on injectors)
5. remove fuel pressure regular connector to fuel rail (rubber mouth)
6. remove any other hoses that are in the way, there are two others that i removed to make room for working, one connected to the oil cap and the other was in the back of the engine both connections for these two hoses connected near the air intake mount
7. remove the injector electrical connector (i believe there is a clip that you pry off with a flat head screw driver)
8. take off bolt/washer giving fuel rail better support (by EGR and intake area)
9. pull up on the fuel rail, all 8 fuel injectors will pop out of the intake manifold
10. spread the injector retainer clip to release injector from fuel rail.
11. pull injector(s) out of fuel rail (they can be difficult, just twist and turn and pull and they should loosen them up)

Install procedure

1. lubricate the new upper and lower injector O-rings with clean engine oil and shove injector back into fuel rail. (again twist and turn and pushing up into the rail hole, I found works the best)
* ensure injectors are aligned by orientating electrical connector perpendicular to crankshaft
* push in far enough to engage the retainer clip with machined slots on rail socket
2. Install the new retainer clip onto injector
3. Snap the fuel rail down onto intake manifold
4. put back on nut/washer to put more pressure on fuel rail
5. Install the injector electrical connector
6. snap back on clip to hold electrical connector in place
7. Install the two tubes/hoses that were removed earlier
8. plug wires back into front four holes
9. put back on nut/washer to put more pressure on fuel rail
10.1 turn the ignition switch to On position for 2 seconds
10.2 turn the ignition switch OFF for 10 seconds
10.3 Turn the ignition switch ON
10.4 Check for fuel leaks
11. Install the beauty cover
12. Install the negative batter cable

All Done!

if there are any step missing let me know

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you fpmesiIII, that is an excellent write-up that I have saved along with the diagnosis procedure I found. The next time an injector(s) goes out, I will tackle the job myself rather than letting the dealer "nail" me again. I do use the best fuel I can find (Shell, Chevron) as prevention is the best cure IMO. Have you considered posting this in Tech Tips?
Thanks again, Greg (SLS)

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mramazingman, sounds like a good idea, but that brings up my next question...how do you clean one? I'm guessing that once extracted, an injector could have say carb cleaner sprayed thru it? Could you list the steps and proper solvent to clean them?

·
Registered
Cadillac
49 Posts
Once out of the car, you will not be able to service the injector unless you can take it to a shop that has an injector service box, which allows you to hook up one injector at a time and put cleaner through it and also watch it as it sprays. Find the ohm rating on the injector and test it first, so you are not trying to clean a faulty injector. There is a range on what is acceptable on the resistance of the injector coil. You have to get the ohm rating and range for your particular injector as they are many different ones.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts