Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a 1997 STS and when i break i feel a HARD vibration so im assuming its my rotors. So i went to autozone and bought 4 new rotors and pads for the front and rear. Im taking it to a mechanic Tommorrow. is there any "special" equiptment that i need besides what i bought?...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You could consider new calipers if car has more than 70k miles on it. Not much more labor invovled since he will have system apart. If you do calipers, mechanic will need 2 copper washers that go where break lines attach. They might come with calipers.

If you forget to buy the silicone to keep pads from vibrating, peanut butter works.

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
Tell your mechanic to screw in the rear caliper pistons with a brake cube or a pair of needlenose pliers. If you use a c-clamp on the rear you bust em. When pushing/screwing the pistons into the caliper bleed the excess out of the bleed port not back into the master cylinder. This will prevent backpressure and dirt from potentially messing up your ABS system.

·
Registered
1998 STS
130 Posts
Consider "Frozen Rotors" for replacement ( business name) I've had great experience with them. Very high quality. Decreased some of the 65 MPH vibration, too.
Doug

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Not sure why you decided to get all 4. The fronts are usually the culprit if it is the rotors. Could be worn front-end though, a mechanic will probably figure it out. Your mechanic should have the proper tools - no need to be concerned at this point. Most mechanics don't like to install customer parts; it cuts into their profit and they hesitate to warrant inferior parts in some cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts