Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS 4 AWD 3.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a front brake line blew out on my 2006 STS this evening. It's leaking on the DS above the tire area. Both lines are severely rusted out. Thanks Ohio road salt. :ROLLEYES:

Anyone have any tips on replacing these ?

Also, having a hard time finding replacement parts. Not interested in buying anything from the Stealership. Options ?

Does one need to do the custom tube bending routine to replace these lines ?

TIA

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
419 Posts
I reckon someone sells stainless lines, I believe there is a kit for the V. I would definitely recommend the upgrade to stainless lines.

·
Registered
2006 STS 4 AWD 3.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot about RockAuto. Thanks for reminding me.

My car blew out a metal brake line, not a hose to the caliper. All thanks to Yankee road salt.

I VERY STRONGLY suggest to anyone that has an older car 7+ years old or so and HAS spent ANY winters up where road salt has been used ....... GET UNDERNEATH YOUR CARS AND INSPECT YOUR METAL BRAKE LINES ASAP !!!!!!!

I got extremely lucky last night as I only going about a couple MPH when I hit the brake and the line blew out. This could have been very DEADLY to myself and other innocent people !!

I've lived up North most of my life and have seen first hand MANY brake line blowouts do to rust. ALL from road salt and brine usage !

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
320 Posts
It might take several trips to the parts store because of all the different sizes of end fittings used. Most standard length tubes have the same size fittings at both ends but the car might have a larger fitting at one end so an adapter will be needed there. To save trips, measure the length needed and bring the removed end fittings to the store. A set of tubing wrenches is nice to have and it might be necessary to use heat to help remove stubborn fittings. The standard tubing is soft so you can bend it by hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts