Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to replace the alternator and have thus far removed the old one. Unfortunately I returned the core before examining the mounting bolt locations compared to the replacement. Is there a possibility that the old alternator had bracket of some kind on the front that I should have removed to use with the new one. I am afraid the new bolt holes will not line up. The replacement is supposed to be an exact fit and every photo I have seen matches the one I bought. Any help would be most appreciated. I suppose I should have left it to a real mechanic but its not my first mistake and wont be the last. Thanks much, Bill

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
If your 98 is anything like my 96 (which it should be, I would think), there isn't any fancy bracket that would have come off the old one. Double check your part number to make sure it fits your specific DeVille model. Do you have a Base, D'Elegance, or a Concours? That may make a slight difference. The part numbers for one for my 96 are different from one for your 98, but the case looks the same.

If you have the right part, make sure you have the alt oriented properly before going at it. The plug in for the electrical socket should face the radiator.

As for the bolt holes lining up, what do you mean when you say they won't? I have found that the best way to install these is to start the bolts, but do not fully tighten them. You may need to tweak the alt to get all bolts to thread. Once that is accomplished, you're home free, as all will tighten down fine (at least they did for me).

Pictures always help :D

Don't beat yourself up too bad, we all learn as we go. My first alt job ended up being 2 days start to finish. My most recent one was an hour and a half. We'll get ya squared away! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts

There is a 4-bolt aluminum bracket that connects the rear side of the alternator to the block. Two bolts to the alternator, two bolts to the block. Without it, you will not be able to properly attach the alternator to the block. It's possible that you have removed the bracket together with the alternator since it's easier to do that in certain positions. If it's missing and cannot be retrieved anymore, then it's men's mall time.

Here's a picture from a well-polished Northstar I found on Google image search- The upper one is for the alternator, the lower one is for the a/c.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts

There is a 4-bolt aluminum bracket that connects the rear side of the alternator to the block. Two bolts to the alternator, two bolts to the block. Without it, you will not be able to properly attach the alternator to the block. It's possible that you have removed the bracket together with the alternator since it's easier to do that in certain positions. If it's missing and cannot be retrieved anymore, then it's men's mall time.

Here's a picture from a well-polished Northstar I found on Google image search- The upper one is for the alternator, the lower one is for the a/c.
one clean puppy. beautiful

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I suppose you could remove that bracket, but I always felt that was attached to the block in an un-removable sort of way (like welded to the block).

That bracket provides only 2 of the 4 bolt attachment points. The other two are on the outboard side-one on top, and one on bottom.

Not trying to be snooty, but I have done this job a total of 5 times now on my car. I know it well :bang2:

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
This is one reason I don't trade in "cores" . I never know when I might need part of a part. And when I have nothing better to do, most things like alternators & starters, power steering pumps, etc. can be rebuilt quite easy with a cheap parts kit.

And I hope no one makes a comment about polishing a turd.:tisk::tisk::):canttalk::canttalk:

·
Registered
1998 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A big Thank You to those folks who took the time to respond to my request for help. Working with my son we got the job done and it went quite well. GM surely did not go out of their way to make access very easy. Anyway, it was a learning experience and I am back on the road. Thank you again and many happy miles.
Bill

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
A big Thank You to those folks who took the time to respond to my request for help. Working with my son we got the job done and it went quite well. GM surely did not go out of their way to make access very easy. Anyway, it was a learning experience and I am back on the road. Thank you again and many happy miles.
Bill
Glad to hear it worked out ok :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts