Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the blower motor is shot. I know it's a PITA to change out.
Any hints, tips, or links you'd care to share?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
Harry, there is a thread in the Tech Tips forum (started by me) on replacing the blower on a '97 or '98 Deville. I suspect the Eldo would be very similar if not exactly the same.

·
Registered
'93 Regal coupe ('91 Fltwd coupe previously)
434 Posts
It's usually the resistor that goes, though I'm not sure these cars have them. If it is the motor I would go and get a Made in USA/Canada one from the junkyard. Any new one you get is likely going to be Chinese. They're not that bad to change out once you've done it before (though I'm not sure of the Eldorado, just in general).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The '96 has the 'resistor' built into the motor.
Ranger, I confess I can't locate your tech tip; help me out (I'm getting old...)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a sidebar to this thread, I've ordered the engine tilt tool, and it should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I've tested 5 blowers on the shelf in the car, all but two worked as designed. The two that failed actually ran, but vibrated so bad (cracked fans from being dropped) that they were rejected.
I took apart one of these to see if I could swap out the squirrel cage; looks like you can.
Another interesting discovery was the lack of the heavy 'weight' on the back of the motor on two of the good examples. One was an obvious replacement blower assy (white EASILY replaceable squirrel cage and three hole mtg.). What's the purpose of that heavy disc?

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,026 Posts
Tilt tool?

I use a 3 ton floor jack and 3 sets of jack stands to raise cars and lower cradles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts