Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new set of tires for my 2014. That does not sound bad until one realizes that the original tires only had approximately 12,600 miles on them. They were VERY noisy and made a thumping sound that changed with the speed of the vehicle. As I stated in another thread I was fairly certain that it was a bad wheel bearing or, rotor, or something else. It turned out to be the tires. Not only were they "cupping" which caused the thumping sound and general noise; the tread was down to 3/32". At 2/32" they would not pass inspection here in Pennsylvania. So, since the car was just aligned and since Bridgestone was offering a $70 rebate in April, now was the time to change. I went with the Bridgestone Drive Guard run flats. I did this because the car is leased and I did not want to take the chance that there would be a problem when it came time to turn the car in. Otherwise, I would have purchased regular tires. I only have a few hundred mile on the new tires but there is a significant difference in noise and ride comfort. However, that it to be expected with any new set of tires. FYI, I contacted Pirelli regarding the original tires and as I suspected tire warranties are not worth the paper on which they are written. The problems are always due to something the owner did or did not do. I was even told that there is not mileage warranty on original equipment tires. Just for information purposes, you should know that I had the original tires rotated three times and I checked the pressure once a week or so. Still, Pirelli states the problem was mine. Never again will I purchase a Pirelli tire. I am curious as to the experience others may be having regarding these tires.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
501 Posts
I'm at about 12,000 miles and still have a fair amount of tread left, they were about 50% at 10,000. Seems to me like your car was out of alignment for a while particularly since my tires are summer only and usually last about 18,000 miles. Pirelli treated you the same as any tire manufacturer would in my experience, cupping and excessive wear are almost always alignment problems.

·
Registered
Cadillac
145 Posts
I'm at about 12,000 miles and still have a fair amount of tread left, they were about 50% at 10,000. Seems to me like your car was out of alignment for a while particularly since my tires are summer only and usually last about 18,000 miles. Pirelli treated you the same as any tire manufacturer would in my experience, cupping and excessive wear are almost always alignment problems.

Some tires are more prone to cup than others even with a same alignment setting. cafpaf, if there's no mileage warranty on your tires, I assume you have the summer-only set. Vsport tires does not come with a mileage warranty (I had similar issues with mine). I had to check the warranty info myself on tirerack to verify that dealer claim. For a matter of fact, most summer tires (Michellin come to mind as an exception) do not come with the mileage warranty.

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Do you have Magnetic Ride Control? How much hard cornering are you guilty of? (I'm guilty of a lot). Did you ever rotate your Pirelli's? I would normally doubt that any name branded tire would cup, but RF tires may be different in that regard.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
Interesting. I have noticed my Pirellis getting noisy in the last week or two. I am at about 14,000 miles. No vibrations, though--other than my rough idle.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To clarify a few points about my former tires. I had the 18" all season version of the Pirelli's that came standard on the luxury version of the CTS. I have Magnetic Ride Control and had the tires rotated three times in 12,600 miles. No hard driving or cornering ever! Checked the air pressure every week or two. These are all reasons that I do not understand why I had this problem.

·
Registered
2014 cts 3.6L premium awd
2 Posts
Just had to have one of the 19" tires replaced. Dealer said road hazard caused the split in tire. 13,000 miles on tires. $500 to replace.

·
Registered
'13 SRX4 Performance
251 Posts
Add me to the list of cupping Pirelli tires. My CTS has the 18" 245/40/18 Pirelli P Nero All-Season tires--car has 12,200 miles on it and it has become very noisy. Tires were rotated at 6,500 miles at the Cadillac dealership. All 4 tires have decent tread, but the fronts are cupping badly. I do have MRC.

Funny story, I stopped in the dealership today to show my service advisor. He called a technician over--the tech said that a customer recently came in with the same issue and customer had to buy a new set of tires. They suggested rotating them and that the cupping would flatten out? I set up an appointment for next week and get on the road for work. I call Pirelli while on the road and Pirelli is no help--they won't warranty OEM tires. Pirelli blames my driving, Cadillac, the weather, the roads, rotation of the Earth, etc. so, I hang up with Pirelli and keep driving. I end up hitting a monster pothole on I-90 in Buffalo near Orchard Park exit and blow out the front drivers side tire. Cadillac Roadside finds a Caddy dealer with a tire in stock and I decide to drive there on the run flat (never driven on a flat run flat before). Cost me $350--and I'm writing this from the customer waiting area of West Herr Cadillac/Buick/GMC.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
jbonacci said:
Add me to the list of cupping Pirelli tires. My CTS has the 18" 245/40/18 Pirelli P Nero All-Season tires--car has 12,200 miles on it and it has become very noisy. Tires were rotated at 6,500 miles at the Cadillac dealership. All 4 tires have decent tread, but the fronts are cupping badly. I do have MRC. Funny story, I stopped in the dealership today to show my service advisor. He called a technician over--the tech said that a customer recently came in with the same issue and customer had to buy a new set of tires. They suggested rotating them and that the cupping would flatten out? I set up an appointment for next week and get on the road for work. I call Pirelli while on the road and Pirelli is no help--they won't warranty OEM tires. Pirelli blames my driving, Cadillac, the weather, the roads, rotation of the Earth, etc. so, I hang up with Pirelli and keep driving. I end up hitting a monster pothole on I-90 in Buffalo near Orchard Park exit and blow out the front drivers side tire. Cadillac Roadside finds a Caddy dealer with a tire in stock and I decide to drive there on the run flat (never driven on a flat run flat before). Cost me $350--and I'm writing this from the customer waiting area of West Herr Cadillac/Buick/GMC.
I dumped my Pirelli Zero run flats and put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are fantastic. When my lease is up the dealer will get the OEMs with about 5k miles on them. I carry an air compressor and can of slime if I get a flat.

·
Registered
Cadillac
145 Posts
Guys, all the dealer claims about lack of warranty on all season tires and asking owners to purchase new set of replacement tires seem very fishy to me.

GM/Cadillac went through a conversion where tire warranties are administered by the dealer as the part of bumper to bumper warranty. I actually have used this service where one tire of my Escalade could not be balanced and was found out of round. I received a brand new tire and install courtesy of Cadillac. On another occasion, I had badly cupped front tires on my STS. This happened around 16k miles. And although Cadillac pointed out that I needed to rotate my tires more often and really need to check on alignment every 12k, they offered 50/50 split on the tires.

Standard 18" all season tires, as long as they are rotated properly and even with slightly off alignment setting, should not cup to be point they should be replaced around 12k miles. And being an all season tire, they should have warranty which I think Cadillac would...should...honor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going through this same situation right now with my dealer. 2014 CTS Pirelli run flats have been absolutely horrible. My Caddy is actually louder than my truck now. I can't even use my Bluetooth, i'm about to loose my marbles.My last visit (they had my car for almost a week) they said that i must endure through one more tire rotation/oil change and then they would "revisit" the situation, whatever that means.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not to bash but run flats are a major negative in my mind (short life, rough ride, overall expense). It was a reason for me not to
consider new CTS. (Had a lot of run flat experience with BMW). Have 66,000 miles on noral Michelins supplied with my SRX with 5/32-6/32 remaining.

On my first second gen CTS, Caddy offered to replace tires (Goodyear RS I believe) because of cosmetic bulges that 'did not impact safety'.
In my 40 years of driving I have had two blow outs. Both on these Good Year tires. The second blow out (on replaced set) showed
absolutely no signs of impact damage /or penetration and blew out while driving 70 on the interstate. Sent to Good Year for evaluation
and they said they were fine and destroyed them

12,778 Posts
Where are the Cadillac Customer Service members? I want them to get involved in this.
Hello all,

We certainly want you to have the smoothest ride possible with your CTS, and your satisfaction is something that we deeply value. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, phone number, full name, and the name of your involved dealership if this is something that you would like me to look further into. Have a great evening and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
'13 SRX4 Performance
251 Posts
Hello all,

We certainly want you to have the smoothest ride possible with your CTS, and your satisfaction is something that we deeply value. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, phone number, full name, and the name of your involved dealership if this is something that you would like me to look further into. Have a great evening and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care
I did send a pm to you.

Brandon, can you clarify on this post what Cadillacs stance is on OEM tires having issues at 12K miles? Is this normal? My car has only been serviced at my Caddy dealer and the response is that I need to buy new tires or deal with Pirelli (which is a joke because won't support OEM tires according to their customer care rep). Why should customers be responsible for tires that are going bad at 12K miles? I love my car but this is just absurd that I have to drop over $1K for new tires when the set on my car is almost a year old and have 12K miles on them. These are all-season tires, not a summer tire.

·
Registered
CTS 2014 Premium
1 Posts
Just had to have one of the 19" tires replaced. Dealer said road hazard caused the split in tire. 13,000 miles on tires. $500 to replace.
Just blew the side wall on one of the Pirelli run flats, 35s with 11,000 miles, hit an average pothole at 20mph. Same price to replace - Dealer says none in stock and Pirelli has none either for one month. Being a AWD, need the same tire on all four corners. Still waiting for the Dealers solution until then the car is parked. GM sure messed this up going to a supplier that cannot even carry inventory and expecting you to park your car.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
My dealership last week replaced all 4 Pirellis for me, fully covered under warranty. I pointed out the tires were suddenly very noisy. They determined they were cupping. They had seen this before, which is interesting since they do not have many 2014 CTSs in service. All smooth now, but I wonder if I will be dealing with this again in another 13k or so miles. I am glad they took care of it for me. They (Otto Cadillac) have been great and may be going above and beyond because of the other various issues I continue to have, most notably the rough idle. But, the ability is there for the dealer to cover this. Press yours if having the problem. They also had no problem getting the tires.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts