Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V (Blk, 6spd, Recaros), 2007 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing the muffler delete on my stock exhaust (with cutouts before the resonator) and have been searching for a great set of tips to go with it... I'm looking for 4" double wall slant cut tips, but most of what i find has an inlet size of 2.25".... does it matter if the exhaust shop has to use some kind of reducer to get everything to weld up appropriately or should i try and find ones that are exactly 2.5" inlet? Thx

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
I would try and get some with the correct 2.5" inlet, because if not, the shop will probably charge an hour of labor (and materials) to fab up a reducer to make the smaller inlet size work. This will probably cost you between $70 and $100, depending on what your exhaust shop charges for labor.

Or...I guess maybe they could just put the smaller inlet into some sort of machine that would flare it out to the larger size, but I don't know if that is possible or not. Either way, it will just cost more money.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Magnaflow makes some 6" long 4" stainless double wall slash tips that are 2.5". They run about 60 a piece. The part number is 35121 and they look really nice. You can look them up or I can take a pic when I get home. They aren't on the car yet.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Magnaflow makes some 6" long 4" stainless double wall slash tips that are 2.5". They run about 60 a piece. The part number is 35121 and they look really nice. You can look them up or I can take a pic when I get home. They aren't on the car yet.
Those do look very nice but the ones i've seen are listed at 2.25"... see link below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MagnaFlow-35121-Exhaust-Tip-Slant-Rolled-Edge-4-O-7-5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adb085355QQitemZ390221812565QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've got a slight issue with the Magnaflow engraving on the tips as well when its not really a mag exhaust.. its better :duck:

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Well I could have swore they said 2.5 but yeah that's pretty clear right there. Wither way, they can be flared no problem. Juat pop it in the expander and push them out.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
By the way, that's the old design. They look a little different now. I can shoot some pics when I get home.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Those look almost identical to the new magnaflow tips I have. Wouldn't surprise me if they were made by the same people.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Sorry for some of the blurry pics. iPhone is a little touchy. Anyway, I got the shortest ones I could find because I still run mufflers out back. Not stock but they take up about as much room. I have the stock tips on the car now and cant wait to get these on. I'm just waiting on the other one to show up!

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
Depending on wheather or not you cut the tips off in front of the weld or behind the weld, will determine how much the new tips will have to be flared. Do a measurement with a venier caliper. I think you will find that you will be well over 2.5".
Post some pictures when you get done.
I going to put "no taper down" 4" dia., double wall stainless truck tips, straight back to the muffler on mine. I'm currently modifing the tips.
I do not like the side view look of the 'taper down' on car tips. To each his own.
Make sure the shop you go to has a hydraulic flaring machine which is usaully incorporated into the pipe bending machine.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
634 Posts
:)The 4" stainless truck tips are made by 'Pilot' 'Motorsports' and were a closeout at 'wally-world' for $15 each.
Part # I think is PM-556 wk. Try pilotautomotive.com
The truck tip is 10" long and fits 3 1/2" outlet. Needless to say, our cars have a 2 1/2" inlet diameter pipe at the exhaust outlet. Yeah, I know we have 2 1/2"OD exhaust pipes, but our outlets are 2 1/2" ID. I measured it with a caliper.
Anyhow, I cut 3" off the inlet of each tip. Then, I split the cut-off section and wrapped it inside the, now 7" inlet of the tip so that I would be able to push the tip, all the way back to the muffler, so it would appear to be exiting directly out of the muffler. I had to use my grinder to trim-up a couple of welds on the muffler seams, to get a better fit of the tips.
Once I set the tips in place and checked them several times, I tacked welded them in 3 places. Then, I cleaned up the welded areas and spray painted the back side of the tips and mufflers with some black grill paint.
The hardest part was cutting off the double wall OEM tips.
And, YES. I did all the work by myself. Did you notice those back-up lights? :bouncy:

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
728 Posts
Thanks for the info! That is the kind of price I'm talking about, $30 and some time. Unfortunately, I have no welding ability nor equipment.

I didn't notice the backup lights until you mentioned it. They look nicely done, though red reverse lights seem a bit dangerous (no one will know you are reversing).

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for the info! That is the kind of price I'm talking about, $30 and some time. Unfortunately, I have no welding ability nor equipment.

I didn't notice the backup lights until you mentioned it. They look nicely done, though red reverse lights seem a bit dangerous (no one will know you are reversing).
White light shines out of the Clear 'V' part of the lense.

:shhh: Hey, I know . . . since it is an LS2, and I use truck engine oil and truck exhaust tips . . . . Then, maybe I should install a truck back-up alarm on it :hide: . . :hmm:hmmm.. :helpless::nono:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts