Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CT6, 2015 SRX, 2007 STS-V, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

(1) I've read alot about passive shock/strut replacements but I'm wondering if anyone makes an active replacement for the OEM shocks/struts.... and if they can be purchased from another source besides a dealer.

(2) What is the difference between a the Shocks and Struts on a base Deville and a DTS? Are both the shocks and struts different for these cars?

(3) Most discussion has been about Arnott and Boston Suspension products. Doesn't Gabriel or Monroe make a passive replacement? Anyone have any comments on Shocks / Struts they bought recently?

Thanks for replies to any or all parts...

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
fhutchin said:
Hello, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
(1) I've read alot about passive shock/strut replacements but I'm wondering if anyone makes an active replacement for the OEM shocks/struts.... and if they can be purchased from another source besides a dealer.
(2) What is the difference between a the Shocks and Struts on a base Deville and a DTS? Are both the shocks and struts different for these cars?
(3) Most discussion has been about Arnott and Boston Suspension products. Doesn't Gabriel or Monroe make a passive replacement? Anyone have any comments on Shocks / Struts they bought recently?
Thanks for replies to any or all parts...
(1) You will find ACDelco part #s at www.rockauto.com and they also list the OEM GM part # for you. OEM parts available at www.gmpartsdirect.com and other web-based GM parts outlets. You might be able to convince your local dealer to match the prices from a web-based supplier.

(2) The difference is not model dependent; the engine code makes the difference. A Vin 9 engine model will have suspension code F45 as an option and F45 is the active (CVRSS) suspension.

(3) Arnott and Boston do not build struts; they use either Gabriel or Monroe products. You will find some Monroe part #s on Rockauto and some Gabriel part #s at Auto Zone.

I have been researching all this for several months trying to decide which parts to put on my poor old '98 model. I'm leaning toward staying with the active parts and using either the OEM or the ACDelco pieces (which should be the same, right?).

Monroe has an active strut part # and for the small price difference I will buy OEM or ACDelco and let someone else test the Monroe replacement.

·
Registered
2017 CT6, 2015 SRX, 2007 STS-V, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimD, Thanks for your reply. I just bought Arnott Shocks and will have them installed next week.

For the folks who have already gone through this.... did you have your front springs replaced too?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts