Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V :: K&N CAI | MAMO FAST 102 | KOOKS HEADERS
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm frustrated with the crud on my headlights. Mine had the rot pretty bad when I bought it. But I thought I could fix it, and just haven't been able to get them looking how I want them. I tried wet sanding (from 400 up to 1500) and used Meguiars PlastX restoration kit, and it did a great job. But the lenses still look streaky and foggy.

I found these on eBay; there aren't many choices. Anyone replaced their headlamps with these? I'm not a big fan of the chrome look, or 8000K. But that's really irrelevant. Concerned about condensation and quality mostly.

Thoughts?

eBay CTS-V HID aftermarket replacements

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. Wrong link. Fixed.

·
Registered
CTS-V
53 Posts
at the bottom of the ebay link it says they do not fit models with factory hid's. and i think most of the aftermarket replacements don't work with the headlight washer, but to some that isn't a concern.

btw, whatever happened with the person on here who was working with a shop to retro the led bar(like the newer cts) into our housings?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at the bottom of the ebay link it says they do not fit models with factory hid's. and i think most of the aftermarket replacements don't work with the headlight washer, but to some that isn't a concern.
Yeah...I saw that statement. But it will work and it will fit. The housing being sold comes with it's own ballast and bulb, which is why they include that statement. I'm definitely not concerned about the washer. I just want some good-looking headlights.

I guess another choice would be to buy the halogen version, and just add my own HID kit...esp if I'm not concerned with the washer feature.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I found this local guy that 'restores' headlights. He's got some pretty promising photos on his website. He also came recommended from a guy that is picky about who he uses, etc.

The guy just left, and my headlights look BRAND NEW! I tried tackling it myself with some wet sanding and PlastX, which looked decent. But paled in comparison to new.

Here are the results...

BEFORE my cleaning:

AFTER (attachments)

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what did that cost you?
$60. He typically charges $80-$100. But I had already done most of the wet sanding work. Better than spending $900 per on new ones or the uncertainty of eBay replacements.

When he was working, the one thing I noticed was the wool buffing pad included with the Meguiars kit is less aggressive than the wool cutting pad he was using. Polish was also grittier than PlastX. He used the same process as far as using a drill instead of an orbital.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
hmm. interesting. I ws never happy with my gray surrounds. Thats why i made an entire vinyl perimeter overlay because some of my lens issues in the gray are VERY deep in the lens - almost crack like. I had my overlay on a year with no signs of trouble, but eventually will probably have a shop paint the surround. Guy did an awsome job on yours, they look great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts