Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currenty own a 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS. I went to start it about 2 weeks ago and the battery was dead!!!!! Would not do anything when I turned the ignition. I went out and purchased a new battery and a local mechanic reset the computer system, and 4 days later I went to start it and it was dead again. Wouldn't turn over at all. I jumped the car to get it to start and it worked for a few more days and it stalled out as I was pulling out into an intersection and then I put it in park and it started. I've had a mechanic to look at it and he says he thinks the alternator is fine and he can't find anything wrong with it. Now today I'm getting a message that says Service Stability System. Does this have anything to do with the problems I'm having with the battery? When the mechanic had it in the shop the front brake pads were changed and the rotars were turned down. Any suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Wiggle the battery connections and make sure they are tight, if they are, you might have a "new" battery that is bad off the shelf. Its rare but I have seen it happen. As far as your battery going dead after a few days, sound like a parasitic drain on the battery. The way to check this is remove the positve battery cable and hook one end of a test light on the cable and one to the battery, if it lights up you have a drain. To then isolate the drain you have to remove the fuses one at a time till the light goes out.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply. The battery cables are good and tight. So I think something is draining the battery, do you know if the Service Stability System light will come on when there's something draining the battery?

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Sorry but Im not to familiar with the newer systems, but if there is a bad module/computer this could be the source of your drain.

Thats about as far as I can help ya, hopefully somebody will chime in to help ya on this one.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Put a 12v test light in line (between the battery cable and the battery connection). Start pulling fuses till the light goes out. That will tell you which circuit is causing the problem. Then you can go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts