Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son replaced the water pump on his 89 Caddy and it still leaks . Had it towed to a shop and they say the antifreeze is leaking out of the timing cover. Is that possible? I've never seen timing gears in an:eek: antifreeze bath. Does the cover also contain some ports for directing water jacket flow? I don't want to call the mech a liar. but I don't trust blindly either.
Dana

·
Registered
did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs
517 Posts
Yes, unfortunately it is possible that situation exists, especially on the firewall side.
The 2 large bolts that were removed on that side also hold down that corner of the timing cover....
It is not necessary to remove the duplicate bolts on the radiator side but might have...

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
I agree. Also that gasket is a real bear to get completely off and the surface clean.

·
Registered
1990 sedan deville
9 Posts
i went thru this. it does leak behind the timing cover. the water pump bolts to the "front" part of the motor over the timing cover, and then there it a peice that bolts to the backside of the timing cover which is part of the cooling system. put the left frontside up high on jackstands and unbolt the front and rear engine cradle mounts and slowly lower that with the jack until the cranckshaft pulley is clear of the frame rail. youll need to pull the pully off and unbolt the timing cover and water pump. I know for sure Carquest sells the kit, it comes with timing cover gasket, rear gasketbehind the toming cover, waterpump gasket, and a new seal around the crankshaft. this is time kind of time consuming. also a big vise-grip spreader will help to push the motor to get a little more clearance for your hands.

·
Registered
Cadillac Seville 4.9L
24 Posts
I had this happen to my Seville. 3 water pumps, 5 sets of gaskets, and $275 later, I replaced my timing cover. Apparently it was bent - got me how that happened. But it caused a nasty water leak, and if you fix one another leak started. Grr... It's a pain. While I had it apart, I replaced my timing chain and gears. Good suggestion if you go that far - will save you later down the road. Mine was sloppy as hell, and after the new one was installed, nice n tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts