Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally received today the 'B20' wood trimmed shift knob that I ordered some 18 days ago. Here is the part number and description of what I ordered for my Lt. Platinum/Ebony CTS4:

19180501 - Shifter Handle-Ebony with Sapelle Pommele wood trim (for Ebony or Lt. Titanium Seats with Ebony interior accents)

Picked it up at the dealer on the way home from work. On getting the new shift knob I decided I didn't want to wait until some time next week for the dealer to install it... and on studying it for a moment I realised I could probably install it myself. I was right - I had it installed in minutes.

Here is my 10-point text with references to the 10 photos I've attached:

1. Image 0585 - The interior of my CTS4 as delivered, with the standard issue shift knob. Note option B20 finally had to be deleted to get my car built back. My car was final-assembled in mid September).
2. Image 0566 - 'Out of the package' - the new wood trimmed shift knob as received from the dealer.
3. Image 0590 - Using a small screw driver to pry the top of the boot away from the shift knob. (This needs to be done on both the left & right sides of the shift knob).
4. Image 0592 - The boot coming away from the left side of shift knob.
5. Image 0596 - The boot is now released and pulled back from the shift knob, exposing the set screw that will have to be loosened. Note the set screw has a Torx head (size T-10), however a 3/32" allen key will also fit.
6. Image 0598 - Inserting a 3/32" allen key into the shift knob's set screw.
7. Image 0599 - Once the set screw is sufficiently loosened, the shift knob can be pulled right off the shaft. No drama here. Observe the blind hole on the shaft where the set screw is set in to when it is tightened.
8. Image 0601 - The new shift knob is fiited and set in place. No problem at all. Slowly tighten the set screw while at the same time slightly rotate the shift knob to ensure the set screw is engaging with the blind hole on the shaft. Tighten the screw (without over-tightening) until the shift knob is tight and secure. Snap the boot back up in place.
9. Image 0620 - Job's done.
10. Image 0627 - Another view of the completed job. In comparsion to photo #1 (image 0585), I consider the wood-trimmed shift knob a significant improvement.

I have no plans to swap-out the steering wheel, as it looks proper/sporty, and feels great in the hands, just as it is.

Hope this install description is of some help to others.

Hey folks... I just want to take this opportunity to wish all here a really nice Christmas, and a very Happy New Year. Take care of yourselves, and E N J O Y ! ! !

Regards,
RAB.
:xsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Nice! So I assume you had your dealer order it for you, correct? Was the reason that you didn't get the steering wheel purely because you don't want it, or because it wasn't available? Lastly, do you have the part number for the steering wheel too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Nice! So I assume you had your dealer order it for you, correct? Was the reason that you didn't get the steering wheel purely because you don't want it, or because it wasn't available? Lastly, do you have the part number for the steering wheel too?

Thanks!
Actually, I see your note in the other thread about not having the steering wheel part number. Nevermind if that hasn't changed since then. Anyway, nice job.

·
Registered
08' CTS Gold Mist/Cashmere, PDQ, FE2, 18" Polished Wheels
325 Posts
RAB, Great job as always with great pixs and directions. Yes it is a great inprovement ever without the wood wheel. How much was the final cost doing it yourself?

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
That's a perfect upgrade !
Great job indeed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD
1,019 Posts
Thank you for the pictures and the instructions. I plan on doing trhe same thing. Now that you've explained it so well, I'm sure I will. Thanks again.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i called my cadillac dealer parts dept.....he told me that the part number is for the sts gear shift lever......i am wondering if it is the same shift lever......

·
Registered
2008 CTS Red
147 Posts
Rab, nice job. And the Titanium and Ebony Interior looks great, I have the Ebony/Ebony. But know that I see yours I like it. I did not know that the steering wheel has the Titanium on it.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
Great post RAB!

It's got me checking prices for one for my car. I initially wasn't going to bother because I had heard that to replace the knob you needed to buy the boot and trim ring too.

I saw on GMartsDirect.com they list the knob for $103.73US. Anyone seen or have a better price than that? Would make a nice Christmas present!

·
Registered
887 Posts
i think the people with the cashmere with the cocoa accents......will have a hard time with this part......if the gear shift handle is a sts part. there is no cocoa acents on the cadillac sts. the 2008 cts uses this color...

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
438 Posts
i think the people with the cashmere with the cocoa accents......will have a hard time with this part......if the gear shift handle is a sts part. there is no cocoa acents on the cadillac sts. the 2008 cts uses this color...
The cashmere interior uses the same color of leather as you see in the installation pictures for both the steering wheel and shifter. That's a good thing, as a cashmere steering wheel or shifter would soon show dirt. The color looks fine in the cashmere interior, since it's in the middle of the console which is gray/black/silver.

·
Registered
Cadillac
185 Posts
Good job!:thumbsup:
I'm certain that it's the same shift knob as in the '05+ STS.
It looks identical to the one in my '06 STS.
Ergonomically & visually it's great.
I only wish it had more "solidity & heft" though.
Feels light weight & plasticky.:(

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
The cashmere interior uses the same color of leather as you see in the installation pictures for both the steering wheel and shifter.
Huh? My cashmere interior has cocoa leather for the shift knob trim and boot, and also cocoa leather for the steering wheel wrap - not the ebony leather shown in RAB's installation.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey all - thank you for your kind words & positive feedback.
I'm very happy with the outcome regarding the shift knob change. Drove my CTS to work this morning, and with the light of day the wood-trimmed shift knob looks even better than it did last night when I did the job.
As I think of it I was pretty bleary-eyed by the time I completed the post last night. I suppose the bottle of Shiraz I had opened when I began the install didn't help, but that's another story. I'll blame any typos I made on the red wine.

Will try to answer everyone's questions in one go in this post.

spaceman78, LFG, & malcolm: Regarding the price.. it ended up costing me $150.00 (here in Canada). It was a negotiated arrangement wth the dealership, where I paid half the cost of the part and the dealer paid the other half. This was compensation of sorts for the aggravation I endured throughout the summer re the B20 issue. My CTS was delayed over 5 weeks because of the B20 non-supply issue, and in the end I had to cancel the option to get my CTS built.

gm_eng: Thanks for your comment.. and GOOD FIND regarding this shift knob at GMPartsDirect.com for $103.73 ! Hopefully the knob they provide is the genuine article. For $103.73 plus shipping you'll be doing quite a bit better than me, cost-wise. Oh well, that's okay. I can take joy in my having been the guinea pig on this issue :lol: .. and providing the 'how-to' for others. If other forum members can benefit from this, then it's all good.
Hey, maybe I should try to sell the original shift knob on eBay to help recoup some of my cost??

spaceman78: Re your comment, "I think the people with the cashmere with the cocoa accents will have a hard time with this part...." .... (and referencing the further comments by Warrior47321 & Bender) ..
> I believe there should be no problem with this (i.e. there is a p/n for the Cocoa shift knob with wood trim).
I was advised of these part numbers by the dealer for wood-trimmed shift knobs on the '08 CTS:
19180501-Shifter Handle-Ebony with Sapelle Pommele Wood (for Ebony or Lt. Titanium seats with Ebony interior accents)
19180502-Shifter Handle-Cashmere (Cocoa) with Sapelle Pommele Wood (for Cashmere seats with Cocoa interior accents).
Of interest there is also p/n 19180503 and 19180504 for Shifter Handles with "Olive Ash Wood". Is (or was) olive ash wood trim available on the STS?.. or does this represent something special for export CTS's?

That's it for now. Later...

:spin:
RAB.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts