Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here and need some help asap for the wife’s car. I replaced the air filter over the weekend and now the car won't stay running. Every time I completely seal the air box the car dies. Starts and runs for 2 seconds then dies. I have not had the time to look into this to see if I have a blockage of some sort, but it looks like I am getting no air to the filter.

Any ideas to help me save some time will be appreciated.

·
Registered
05 cts hi feat,2011 srx lux,2011 cts performance
46 Posts
did u double check the clamp.same thing happened to me ,the clamp was not sitting right

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
check:
MAF
oiled air filter???
check your brake booster hose and check all other air lines. if one is disconnected it will stall out .

·
Registered
Cadillac
223 Posts
I replaced my air filter and had the same problem. Long story short, the air intake tube from the filter housing to the plenum came undone (separated), which allowed intake air to godirectly to the engine, bypassing the filter and the mass air flow sensor. The computer tells the engine to shut down (maybe to protect the MAF). Check the underside of the plastic tubing- you'll find it has separated while you were wrestling the air filter lid.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,880 Posts
Typical emergency poster/problem/question... Ask it because the problem needs to be fixed ASAP. But doesn't reply that the problem was fixed.

Oh and by the way guys, You can unplug your MAF and your engine will still turn. It'll throw a code, but it'll still run.

KOT

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
Typical emergency poster/problem/question... Ask it because the problem needs to be fixed ASAP. But doesn't reply that the problem was fixed.

Oh and by the way guys, You can unplug your MAF and your engine will still turn. It'll throw a code, but it'll still run.

KOT
It can and also cant. My car ran shitty, but then didnt run lol it tried like a champ though :D

·
Registered
Cadillac
223 Posts
Yes, I'll be interested to know what he finds. I washed the car and changed the air filter. As you know, the intake plumbing is rather stiff plastic tubing, and you have to twist the lid around to get to the filter. After that, I jumped in, started the car, and it immediately stopped. No codes showing (oddly enough), nothing loose (including all sensors), the car had gas in it, everything else worked. I couldn't believe it!! I fought the start/no run problem for about three hours. In my shame, I even had a wrecker on the way (for the first time in 47 yrs of fooling with cars) when I checked the intake tract one more time (that was the only thing I touched and the problem HAD to be there). One of the clamps apparently wasn't too tight and two segments of the tubing came apart on the bottom side, exactly where you can't see it, but you can feel it. I pushed the two pieces together tightly, tightened all clamps, and it immediately started. Everything is simple once you know the answer!

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
I see alot of comment s about K&N filters not to hijack this thread but are K&N filters bad for our cars or a no go on our cars. Need to know because I just bought one.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
It's not K&N per say, it's any Oiled filters. But if you take the proper precautions as per instructions, you'll be fine. Meaning, don't oil your filter and slap it on to drive right away. Let the oil get soaked into the filter for at least a few hours. Which is best to do the cleaning/oiling process before you go to bed.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
oiled filter??? the guys at autozone didnt say anything about oiling it. Where do I foind the procedure to do that? like I said this is brand new so do i need to do that? oiling that is?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
You oil the filter anywhere from 3k miles and up if you have a K&N / cone filter / drop in. I don't think you oil the paper filter, but I could be mistaken.

The process is ridiculously simple. Take out the filter, spray it with the oil, wait a while, put it back in, wait a longer while, then drive.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
There is a cleaning kit out there made for K&N filters. It contains at least two bottles. One is a solvent to clean the filter of dirt, grim and old oil. Then there is the oil to replace what you just cleaned off. I clean mine every 10,000 miles, only because I have a cone filter and I don't go on dirt roads.

They are all pre-oiled, which is why it's in that plastic wrap with in the box. It should even say it on the plastic wrap. But if you go back to AutoZone, just ask for the K&N cleaning kit.

KOT

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
KOT's got it down :yup:

Or just buy brand new every so often(thats what I do), cones that is

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the help everybody. It turned out to be the coupler not fully on the MAF housing. Bottom side came off when I pried the box apart to get the filter changed. Funny thing about this is when I fastened the coupler back on I had to turn the clamp about 10 full turns to get it tight. So I suspect the clamp has been extremely loose for quite a while. I just picked this car up about 6 months ago and have very few hour of maintenance on it.

The strangest thing about all this is that the car would run with the filter box open.

Once again thanks for all the replies!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts