Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new CTS owner! Yeah.. I just bought it last week from Florida and drove it 2100 miles ... 31 hours (non-stop ... except gas and food of course). It's great to have it home!

Anyway, does anyone know if my current `04 CTS single disc player can be replaced with an `04 CTS six-disc player with the tape drive?

Would this just be a quick swap or would I need to do anything else? I searched but couldn't find anyone else that has tried this. I know I would have to have the dealer fix the anti-theft message once I installed it.

Thanks!

Charlie

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
It's a very quick swap. Everything is plug and play and all that needs to be done, if even needed, is to have the dealer tell the radio to relearn the CTS's VIN in order to defeat TheftLock.

Congratulations on your new CTS!

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
I believe the CD-changer does not (can not) include a cassette deck. My 2004 has the CD-changer and Bose with no cassette (lack of room would make sense). I believe that only the single CD player is available with a cassette deck. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Escalade, 2006 Cadillac CTS
171 Posts
Mbai2 said:
It's a very quick swap. Everything is plug and play and all that needs to be done, if even needed, is to have the dealer tell the radio to relearn the CTS's VIN in order to defeat TheftLock.

Congratulations on your new CTS!
Well I have the 2006 single disc... without Bose... can I get the 6 disc player from the dealer? Can the Bose system be installed?

·
Registered
466 Posts
CTS V6 3.6 said:
but if you want a tape deck, they were only made in 03, and the 03 radio is a different color.
:hmm: Not true. 2002 and 2003 had the cassette deck with the 6 disc cd changer. The mid year 2003 radios are the dark charcoal color, the same as the 2004 - 2005 radios.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Planediveguy said:
Well I have the 2006 single disc... without Bose... can I get the 6 disc player from the dealer? Can the Bose system be installed?
The Bose system will be expensive to install. It involves new harnesses, speakers, and amp.

The 6 disc headunit will work seamlessly with a non-bose system. It will detect that the amp is a base amp and hide features such as DSP and AVC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, well tell me what you guys think. I just bought the following off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8025687743

He said it was from a 2004 CTS. I have not heard from him yet on what color it is (I found the auction too late to get a response from him). Do you think this is the dark charcoal color of my 2004 CTS or do you think it's gray?

From what I understood, all 2004 CTS's had the dark charcoal/black interior.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
340 Posts
-1- said:
:hmm: Not true. 2002 and 2003 had the cassette deck with the 6 disc cd changer. The mid year 2003 radios are the dark charcoal color, the same as the 2004 - 2005 radios.
Not true. There is no such thing as a 2002 CTS.:histeric:

·
Registered
466 Posts
CTS V6 3.6 said:
Not true. There is no such thing as a 2002 CTS.:histeric:
:alchi: Oh yea, wanna bet? Turn in your CTS forum membership card. 2002 was the first year for the CTS.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
charliebecker said:
From what I understood, all 2004 CTS's had the dark charcoal/black interior.

Thanks,

Charlie
Yes, all 2003.5 to 2005 CTS' had the black/charcole interior with no cassette deck, the same time they upgraded to DVD nav from CD nav.

2006's get a wood trim around thier black center stack, plus there's a parchment option for the dash I belive as well

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
AsAkAs said:
What? There was no 2002 Model year CTS.... THey were sold in 2002, as 03's
Correct. I've seen some 2003 models built as early as March 2002, but they are 2003 year models regardless.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Mine was built in 2/02. We've got another member whose car was built in Jan 02. I don't know if the cassette was dropped at the same time the interior color change happened. A lot of things changed at that same time in summer of '02 (DVD rather than CD Nav, XM radio, black interior, temp guage replacing analog clock, etc). Since 'normal' american year releases are in the fall of the prior year (August-ish '06 for the '07 model year), it would be completely valid to differentiate the early cars as '02's, since such a big change occured right around the new '03 model year release date, although they were all actually sold as '03's.

My car came stock with a pewter CD/Cassette head unit. Changing a single to a six disk is plug and play, although you'll need the VIN cleared with a Tech 2 programmer at your dealer to make get rid of the 'Theftlock Activated' message and get it to work, if it came from another car.

To my knowledge, only one member ever successfully converted to the Bose amp (Miscreant), and he sold his car for a GTO and dropped off the face of the Earth before documenting how he did it. I did some research and found that it can be done with some effort, but you'll need the Bose amp and the harness pigtails for the connectors, to do it, since the wiring is entirely different.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Escalade, 2006 Cadillac CTS
171 Posts
Mbai2 said:
The Bose system will be expensive to install. It involves new harnesses, speakers, and amp.

The 6 disc headunit will work seamlessly with a non-bose system. It will detect that the amp is a base amp and hide features such as DSP and AVC.
Thanks... I guess I can get that done for $$$$ at the dealership... or get a unit off e-bay and install it myself?

·
Registered
466 Posts
CTS V6 3.6 said:
told you.:thumbsup:
:worship:Yes, YOU'RE RIGHT. I learned something new. Anybody want to buy a slightly used 2002 CTS?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts