Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a while back I'd be parting with my 1995 Cadillac Seville STS (Northstar 4.6) for good due to some pricey repairs. I'd love to keep it, though, and have the engine replaced. I need to know if a 1996 Deville engine would fit into and work with my car, as I may have access to one. Does anyone have some insight into this? Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
It depends on if your seville has the vin Y or vin 9 engine. If it has the vin Y then yes it will fit and work. If it has the vin 9 then yes it will fit, but you will need a new PCM for it to work.

I think the digit you look at for the Y or 9 is the 8th digit in the VIN.... but I'm not sure...

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Its an STS so its Vin 9 and the Deville in 96 only came with the Vin Y engine. Will it work yes as stated before it will fit, as for reprogramming it im not sure if its a must because they use the same plugs and components the only difference between the two is a HP increase in the 9 and a higher rev point.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
There is another difference that has to be taken into account folks, 1996 is OBD II and 95 is OBD I, The difference between the two systems is night and day. Before installing, you will probably need the pcm and some other harnesses. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
No, don't do it. You won't be happy with the performance. One is OBDI and the other is OBDII (different sensor and wiring). One is 275 HP and the other is 300 HP. Each use different final drive ratios (3.71 vs 3.11) so they are not compatable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts