Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still thinking about an easy and cheap way to get just a little more volume out of the factory exhaust system. The factory resonator is a dual in/dual out muffler so I am guessing it is an X-pipe on the inside. How do you guys think it will sound if you replace the factory resonator with an X-pipe like in the picture and leave the factory rear mufflers on? Has anyone ever tried this?

I am asking this because I have asked for opinions on replacing the factory resonator with 2 straight pipes and some of you guys told me it sounded horrible. Will an X-pipe make a difference?

View attachment 301482

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual
321 Posts
I was the dude that tried it. It was so bad I took it back ASAP and had the exhaust tech put the factory resonator back on. The sound was best described as air flowing through a coffee can filled with marbles.

I honestly don't know how the x-pipe pictured here would sound but I'd guess it would probably sound very raspy.

·
Registered
CTS 2011
29 Posts
I did this, made about 3 different changes none were good. I scrapped the original resonator. Ended up with a complete new kit from Magnaflow 15136. I like it. No big resonation in the cabin.

·
Registered
08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red
80 Posts
I did the opposite with fairly good results. Kept the resonator due to raspy concerns. Trashed the mufflers. Way louder. Put small magnaflows on, still too loud, so went for larger ones. Nice purr/ growl now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts