Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has an aweful case of Piston Slap. I absolutly hate it. In order to fix it, there will be a $3000+ bill. IF I am going to spend that kind of money I will opt for a new engine. (yes, I know..even MORE money). Reason being, I will then have a warranty on the engine and will not have to worry about the piston slap issue having scuffed up the piston walls. Just put my mind at ease. And hey, a new engine.

My question is, to anyone who has replace a Northstar in a newer model Seville, how difficult is it? Honestly. If I could find a shop to do it for under $1000, should I go that route? or tough it out and replace it myself?

Dustin

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I assume it is out of warranty. Are you sure it is not just cold carbon rap?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ranger said:
I assume it is out of warranty. Are you sure it is not just cold carbon rap?
Yeah. No warranty. Even if it was under warranty, GM says it is not a problem. Just an annoyance.

I'm positive it's Piston Slap. Been to the dealer twice. I did a lot of reasearch along with WOT's and several cleaning cycles with TEC and Seafoam, along with oil detergents. No luck. And to better set my mind, the past few days it has been warmer, and the noise is not as bad.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
535 Posts
Actually, to say that it is going to be more money (than 3000$) for a new engine is quite absurd down here in Houston. I have a friend that has the exact same model you do, he just replaced the engine (engine block only) and it cost 2500$. 1800$ for the engine - 700$ labor.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SL1CK said:
Actually, to say that it is going to be more money (than 3000$) for a new engine is quite absurd down here in Houston. I have a friend that has the exact same model you do, he just replaced the engine (engine block only) and it cost 2500$. 1800$ for the engine - 700$ labor.

Hmmm, that is a damn good deal. I didn't even think you could buy just a new engine block for the northstars, that really would be all I'd need... GMPARTSDIRECT.com does not list one either. But, $700 in labor? Wow. (in a good way)

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
I don't think you need a new block or engine for that matter. If the dealer was going to do the job, they would install new pistons and rings. I believe that is the fix for this problem. See if ewill3rd chimes in on this one.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
If it is piston slap(and that is a possibility..not saying it isn't)you could change the engine yourself.

What are you really asking? The easiest is to drop the cradle and swap the engine with the cradle on the ground. It can be done leaving the cradle in the car but that is harder.

Used or rebuilt engine? That's a matter of what you can find and at what price.

look at the head gasket thread in tech tips for info on dropping the cradle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zonie77 said:
If it is piston slap(and that is a possibility..not saying it isn't)you could change the engine yourself.
What are you really asking? The easiest is to drop the cradle and swap the engine with the cradle on the ground. It can be done leaving the cradle in the car but that is harder.
Used or rebuilt engine? That's a matter of what you can find and at what price.
look at the head gasket thread in tech tips for info on dropping the cradle.

The dealer would want to change out the postins and rings, a rough idea was more than $3,000. From what research I have done, Piston slap can actually score the piston walls. I don't like the thought. I would only feel safe changing out with a new engine.

If I were to get a used engine, I would have no idea if it has the old or new design pistons in it.

Dustin

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
I may be wrong on some of this but...I think you can go 1 small overbore on an N*. Have you priced pistons and rings? If I remember right the bearings are very expensive so you'd want to reuse them if they are good.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
I think I recall "Rob" saying you can never reuse the bearing, no matter how good they look. Something to do with "crush".

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
If you reuse the bearings they should stay in the rods and not be disturbed. It is better to replace but I have reused bearings without problems.

Reuse at your own risk. Your reuse of the bearings is based on your decision of their condition.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer, needless to say, want's me to take a loan out to fix the car. And I'm not sure if I would trust their word.

If I remember today, I'm going to call a local engine/trans shop and see what they say

1 - 13 of 13 Posts