Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car stopped. Key locked in ignition and car would not go out of park. Pulled negative connection from battery terminal; car starts but still locked in park with key stuck in ignition. Towed to GM dealearship. Diagnosis is to replace BTSI and ECM (both were found open). $1,131.98 to repair. I Would like to know where these two parts are located and is it labor intensive? Could I do this myself? I have many tools and I am somewhat electrically and mechanically inclined. I don't have that kind of money for repairs and I have a 4 day weekend to dig into the car if I decide to have it towed back to my house. Thanks in advance for any and all information.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
ECM is located on the top of the engine on passenger side. can be swapped yourself, but will need a TECH II machine to program to your VIN. you can get a new ECM for @ $200 to $240 range at www.gmpartsdirect.com

as far as the BTSI...i have no idea what you are referring too. if you can spell out that acronym i may be able to help you there

if you do replace these parts yourself, which is very simple to do, the stealership or any big mechanic shop that works specifically on GM cars that has a TECH II machine will normally reprogram them to your car for @ $100

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so far for you response. The (BTSI) is a brake transmission solenoid interlock unit. I don't know if it has another common name. I just copied the acronym off of the dealer's report.

Regards....

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
oh wow, that is a first for me. i have never heard of this particular solenoid going bad. what symptoms is your car giving you for them to determine this, besides them more than likely pulling this code and telling you this

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I was under the impression that the symptom at first was that the shifter would not release out of park. The dealership's report only describes it as "FOUND OPEN BRAKE TRANS. SHIFT SOL. AND ECM). REPLACE BTSI AND ECM..... There were no code listings at all.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
i would start with the ECM and then go from there...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,879 Posts
But I would also check any and all fuses.

I've been reading more and more people replacing expensive parts, but it was a simple fuse.

KOT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts