Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I install a fully optioned inside rearview mirror (auto high beam control, On Star, etc) with a compass in place of the current fully optioned mirror with no modifications?

I saw a picture of the interior of the new Buick Enclave (fantastic work done by GM, finally) and noticed it was equipped with a navigation unit and that the rear view mirror also had a compass. I have a 2006 STS 1SG with factory navigation and the mirror compass is a deleted item from the mirror – if you have the nav – no compass. There is no rhyme or reason for this decision, and I miss the mirror compass I have had since 1990 in my Lincolns, Buicks, and Cadillacs. Note that when you are just playing the radio the nav unit does not display orientation. You have to be in the map mode for this. :mad:

·
Registered
2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T
470 Posts
Good Question. I have a 2007 STS-V with the same situation.. No Compass on the mirror, which I have always found very useful in all my other cars.. I personally hate trying to figure out which direction I am traveling using the navigation system. It's not easily distinguishable from the compass pointer. A nice N, E, S, W display somewhere would have been nice. Anyone have an answer? I am curious myself!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
Set the NAV map with North up. The arrow cursor tells you the direction you're going. Because Cadillac is too cheap to provide map coverage for Alaska, that's the only information I can get from the NAV.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Set the NAV map with North up. The arrow cursor tells you the direction you're going. Because Cadillac is too cheap to provide map coverage for Alaska, that's the only information I can get from the NAV.
Ok, Binky Bear - pay attention. The subject is - Can I change to a mirror with a compass with no problem? I know the map will tell me which way is north. But I may want to watch the radio screen instead and still know what direction I am going. Got it, Blinky Bear? :mad:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Binky. On page 7 of 8, under GM groups the STS is identified as using a Gentex mirror. Now, If I had a Gentex designed for the STS with OnStar, SmartBeam Intelligent High Beam Headlamp system, auto-night dimming and a compass, the one that is installed in the STS without a nav system, could I install it with no mods needed to any wiring clips where I now have a Gentex mirror with OnStar, SmartBeam Intelligent High Beam Headlamp system, auto-night dimming and no compass?

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
Thank you, Binky. On page 7 of 8, under GM groups the STS is identified as using a Gentex mirror. Now, If I had a Gentex designed for the STS with OnStar, SmartBeam Intelligent High Beam Headlamp system, auto-night dimming and a compass, the one that is installed in the STS without a nav system, could I install it with no mods needed to any wiring clips where I now have a Gentex mirror with OnStar, SmartBeam Intelligent High Beam Headlamp system, auto-night dimming and no compass?
For a few dollars you can be the one to find out and tell the rest of us. Maybe you can sell your old mirror to somebody else that's looking for an upgrade to their hoopty. Junkyard STS mirrors with compass are going for about $100.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
522 Posts
I had to look up the word hoopty.

From Reference.com:

A hooptie is typically a large car popular with the "gangsta" and hip-hop culture. The cars are usually old 1970s or 1980s model cars often outfitted with hydraulics, failing shocks and other suspension parts, or other accessories (Houston rapper Paul Wall refers to these vehicles as slabs - usually Cadillacs). A hooptie is too old to be nice, too new to be cool.

Hoopties were popular in movies that seriously portray life in the ghetto and movies that poke fun at various people of other races acting as if they were blacks in the ghetto.

Buick Electras were common as hoopties (e.g. Sir Mix-A-Lot's 1990 hit "My Hooptie"); hoopties include beaters covered with house paint or rust buckets. Another common hooptie is the 1989 BMW 3 series.

Hooptie has various meanings in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, and New York City. For example, the Miami scene emphasizes on 1971-76 Chevrolet Impalas (known as donks), while in Houston, the 'slabs' refer to any pre-1980 General Motors luxury car regardless of the division. In the Houston Metro area, hoopties with the elbow rims (common to 1983 and 1984 Cadillacs) are a rare find.

The term may be related to a much earlier term for an old or beat-up car, hoopie or hoopy, which was widespread in the 1930's-40's in the western United States. Another source of the word may be "Coupe D", as in the Cadillac model Coupe de Ville.

Current use of the word
A Hooptie now refers to a beater car. It is a car that gets you to and from work. Hoopties are usually cars that were nice when new, although some were plain crap from the start. A hooptie can still be a nice car but it is not your prized car- it is not the car you take downtown and drag or show off. Also, a hooptie can be a barely running, 'would not be caught dead in it' car, however the car gets you alot of "back seat action". The meaning of the word has changed from exclusively large cars; some hoopties are fuel saving cars and therefore small. This is because usually they are driven daily to work and back and rack up lots of miles.(Slab Means Any Car You Can Throw Dubz On And Still Be Hood).

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Pep boys and Whitney sell the old 2 inch plastic globe compasses.

They also sell those old cats with the turn signal eyes.

Dice for front mirror.

Curb feelers.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
The compass in the mirror is a very nice feature. I had one on my Buick Regal GS. It's a very unobtrusive but useful device. Definitely not in the same class as the Western Auto stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok guys, here it is if anybody is still paying attention to this thread....
The STS mirror with Intellibeam/OnStar/Dimming is hard wired for Intelligeam. The DTS mirror with Intellibeam/OnStar/Dimming/Compass is LAN controlled. The Escalade mirror with Intellibeam/OnStar/Dimming/Compass/Temperature is also LAN controlled. The STS can not be upgraded to add compass, different technologies. You may however be able to upgrade the DTS to add Temperature if the HVAC temp senser in front of the grill is also on the LAN. Hmmm, I may have to try that one....

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I have several of these on-star , compass auto dimming mirrors. If anyone wants one contact me off line at [email protected]. The first three can have one fot postage only, but please only if you are going to use. I would hate to see them turn up on ebay.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have several of these on-star , compass auto dimming mirrors. If anyone wants one contact me off line at [email protected]. The first three can have one fot postage only, but please only if you are going to use. I would hate to see them turn up on ebay.
Do they have OnStar, SmartBeam Intelligent High Beam Headlamp system, auto-night dimming and a compass and is the plug the same as the one on the STS?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts