Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy are going to replace the rear air shocks on my 2002 EXT tonight. I ruined one of both of my air shocks when I overloaded them about a month ago. I think my ride control sensors got bent or something so we installed a manual override button up front in the fuse block. So I overfilled the shocks with air when I was hooking up my boat. I held the button down too long and forced too much air in them and I heard a big disturbing pop. I would assume that was one of the chambers in the shocks rupturing or both?

I bought the OEM GM air shocks from Arnott, site sponsor. So I know they are the right ones. Arnott has excellent customer service.

Now I looked behind each rear wheel where the shocks connect and it looks like a pretty easy swap out? Do we need to jack the vehicle up or can we switch out the shocks without a jack?

Does anybody know where the autoride sensor is located? Is it right above each shock? I want to adjust those so they activate the air shocks when the rear is loaded. They haven't worked at all for a year now. I assume they are a small metal rod or arm that simply activates the air suspsension?

·
Registered
Cadillac
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I can't believe not one person answered here? Wow....

Anyway, we switched out the air shocks yesterday without a hitch. We tried to do it without the jack but you need the jack for sure to get the new shock mounted at the bottom. Arnott is the best, their OEM shocks are perfect of course. I can load air into the new shocks with the manual button no problem.

Does ANYBODY know exactly where the auto ride / heigth sensors are located? I thought they would be right above the shocks but they must be buried up above the wheel well? From my research it sounds like it's a little rod that simply switches on the compressor to load air into shock(s) when there is a load while the rear suspension is compressed down. My auto ride still doesn't kick on by itself. I talked to a rep at Arnott and he thought there should be a code in the dash if the sensor is out. I was thinking it just needed to be adjusted because it got bent up or something? Does anybody have experience with this? C'mon, there has to be a tech here that knows what I am talking about? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
If your looking at the suspension on the driver side rear, with the wheel off, you will see a rod towards the left, which leads to the sensor. On the passanger side rear, if you looking at the suspension its on the right.

how much did the shocks cost?

·
Registered
Cadillac
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If your looking at the suspension on the driver side rear, with the wheel off, you will see a rod towards the left, which leads to the sensor. On the passanger side rear, if you looking at the suspension its on the right.

how much did the shocks cost?
Thanks luxurylife33! I was wondering where they were at. Is it possible these sensors could of got bent up? I have 26" rims/tires on my rig. Could of the tires hit them from a large bump while towing my heavy boat?

The best deal is go to eBay and buy them thru Arnott for $400 shipped. Arnott is amazing customer service and they're just a good group of guys and gals. I found similiar OEM shocks (for 07 Tahoe?) that suppose to fit for $370 shipped on eBay but they had a 90 day warranty VS Arnott's 1 year warranty and A+ support. Go with Arnott and support the site sponsor as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts