Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can they fix curbage cracks on the front bumper fascia? Thin and maybe 2-3 inches long, and if so how much? I know a lot of front bumper covers just get tossed if they get cracked.
What about license plate holes? Can they do this on the car? How much is a new fascia? What is the R & R like? Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
74 Posts
Yes the bumper can be saved. I bought my car from VA and it had a tag frame on the front.

A guy that comes by the dealership my Dad works at fixed it for $120. He had to get a special resin cause he said the Caddy bumper was a different material than most bumpers.

Here is a pic where 4 holes use to be:

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
Interesting, I was always told urethane (and materials like it) cannot be repaired because they flex, and the repair cannot be done in such a way to "flex" with the rest of the bumper...therefore it always recracks....

but i guess technology has come about that is suitable to flex with the urethane or similar material

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I was always told urethane (and materials like it) cannot be repaired because they flex, and the repair cannot be done in such a way to "flex" with the rest of the bumper...therefore it always recracks....

but i guess technology has come about that is suitable to flex with the urethane or similar material
I think the hard to repair stuff is called TPO(thermoplastic olefin). It is highly temperature resistant so won't crack like the old SMC stuff but tends to melt when it is ground or sanded and has a small wax content to allow it to pop easily out of molds. The wax makes it harder to bond and put a finish on. I think this is the throw away stuff. It makes durable parts and the poor repairability doesn't make any difference to the car manufacturers. This is the polypropylene and urethane composite stuff. The Toyota Camry and Ford Taurus of 10 years ago and the Mustang and Fusion of today use TPO. GM was developing TPO composites for both interior and exterior panels 10 years ago as well so I don't know what does and doesn't have it today.

The easy to work on pieces are thermoset plastic which can be ground without melting and has no wax in it's ingredients. It is impact resistant like TPO but it also pops back into shape. I know some Caddy's have this type of bumper cover because the jobbers use the same product for their aftermarket copies but not certain about a low production bit like on the V. But if BlackCar got fixed up for $120 it makes sense it is this stuff.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
74 Posts
The first time the guy looked at it he said he had to order the correct resin for it. I actually had a place on the rear bumper that looked bad also and he did it for $50.

I didn't get to see him do it but he blended the paint in real nice and smooth. If you didn't know it had been fixed you would never spot it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts